Thread: 2.1 Speakers?

2.1 Speakers?

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good quality 2.1 system for pc based music listening. I reckon something around the US$200 mark. No games and very little movie watching.

Thanks

Id recomend you 5.1 surround. Youll need this 5.1 sound card for it, but sound is better. I use Sweex 5.1(around $15) card and i have Defender SPK-M5.1 (around $50) set.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - you should be able to find them for $125-150.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...media-2-1.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by zepac
    Id recomend you 5.1 surround. Youll need this 5.1 sound card for it, but sound is better. I use Sweex 5.1(around $15) card and i have Defender SPK-M5.1 (around $50) set.
    FYI: 5.1 doesn't affect sound quality.

I picked up a pair of Logitech x230 and they sound great. They only run about $40 too. You can get them almost anywhere. Here they are at Buy.com. You can read some reviews there.

Hi Brocko,

It depends on what type of soundcard or integrated sound (on your motherboard) that you have. If you have a 4.1, 5.1 or 7.1 output then get speakers that will accomodate those specs.

If you only have stereo output then I recommend Klipsch's. I have their Pro Media 4.0s and Pro Media 5.1 Ultra series and like them a lot. The subwoofers on both sets really boom and the satellites are crystal!

Here are two different sets of Klipsch stereo or 2.1s. Well under $200. But you should go out to a store that sells speakers and that has a wide variety to listen to them and choose that way because everybody's ears are different.

But IMO you really can't go wrong with Klipschs.

ProMedia GMX A-2.1 System Suggested Price = $149

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...gmx-a-2-1.aspx

They are available at NewEgg for:

Original Price: $139.99 USD
    Instant Savings: -$15.00 USD

$124.99 USD

$19.77 USD Three Day Shipping in the US.
    (Not available in HI, AK and PR)

In Stock

If you prefer a more traditional look (the style that I have and that Scott has posted a picture of) check out the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer 3-Speaker System (Black)

They were $199.99 USD and are now $120.83 USD at Amazon.

Uh oh..... I just saw that you're in Australia so these prices and or shipping (if they ship Internationally) will be different. But I'm sure they sell Klipschs in Australia and they may ship them there but it probably won't be cheap.... and you may have custom charges.

Good luck and listening.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Thanks guys

I have a c-media cmi-8738 based soundcard but I don't want a 5.1 system, too much clutter as much as anything else, so it's a 2.1 for me.

I was looking at either altec lansing or klipsch but wanted some peer support. Can't stand the post purchase dissonance that seems to accompany so many tech purchases these days.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Klipschs.

Thanks again
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - you should be able to find them for $125-150.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/deta...media-2-1.aspx

These are what I used to have and they ROCK. I have yet to hear a better 2.1 set of speakers since I purchased these.

FYI: 5.1 doesn't affect sound quality.
    I recently gave my Klipsch speakers to my brother and upgraded to 5.1 THX certified Logitch Z-5500 surround sound speakers:

There is a HUGE diffrance in sound quality between the Logitech and the Klipsch speakers. I am also using CREATIVE LABS Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sound card

Not only do the speakers you use affect sound quality but the sound card is the most important component in sound quality.
    Teyrn

the speakers and the source affect sound quality, absolutely.

5.1, 2.1, 7.2, etc designations don't. those are just the number of channels the sound runs through.