Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug abuse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drug abuse

My son is a quad (hurt two yrs ago) and we have now found out he's doing drugs. My husband and I have made an appointment with a councelor about what to do and what not to do to help him. We are soooo scared. Any suggestions?

doing what?

i think it depends on what drugs and how much and why and its effects
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

You are doing the right thing. It is normal to be scared. There is help for you. Many a person who has become addicted to drugs have been helped. You may want to investigate Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous as well. From the limited info you have provided it is unclear as to whether he is even addicted. There are literally many thousands of drug abusers who have sought and found the help they needed. Good luck to you and your son.

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet
    My son is a quad (hurt two yrs ago) and we have now found out he's doing drugs. My husband and I have made an appointment with a councelor about what to do and what not to do to help him. We are soooo scared. Any suggestions?
    How do you know? Is he of age? Believe me it shall color your approach. Private mail me if you want.

How is affecting him? Are these prescription drugs or street drugs?
    Daniel

what level? where does he live? who helps in his care? does he drive to obtain these drugs?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

As mckeownp alluded to, it's about a thousand times more difficult if he's over 21, thanks to the federal privacy laws.
    The temptation must be worse for an SCI than an AB.
    - Richard

I'll ask the same questions that others have asked....How old is he? What level injury is he? Where is he living? what kind of drugs is he doing? If he is smoking pot, there is a good chance that he's using it for pain relief. Marijuana has a LOT of theraputic benefits, especially for us w/SCIs.

One thing about making the appt w/the councelor....If he's not willing/ready to quit taking whatever drugs he is taking, it's going to be a very difficult battle. Have you talked with him about his drug use? Not TO him(where he would feel lectured) but WITH him(where he would feel more comfortable and in a two way conversation)? This might be a good way to start....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

SCI-Nurses here, are a priceless resource. I wish you and yours well.

Like said, depends what kinds of drugs he uses. Weed is also registrated as ''adictive drug'' which is bullcrap. Find out ''why'', take helping position and dont rush to ''get him off''. Theres no help that way. Thats just my opinion.