Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Veggie?

I do at least 10 cups of coffee a day. Are they medicinal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    Been giving serious thought to moving away from most meat and toward more vegetables and fruits. Any suggestions, problems, etc.?

Scott Ish

suggestion: change your name

problem: vegetarian word is very insulting to rednecks

Red,
    there may be antioxidant and other health benefits from drinking teas, both green and black. There are mixed studies and nothing really conclusive to say 1 is better than the other. The amounts of antioxidant levels can vary greatly and also, unless one drinks a fairly large amount of teas daily, there may be no significant benefits. So, bottom line, just drink what tastes best to you and you enjoy (of course, cookies heighten pleasure a wee bit ).

Your diet seems pretty healthy and you are enjoying the changes you are making. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Since adding more fruits/veggies to my diet, manual evacuation is no longer a necessity. I can push it out, for the first time in twenty years albeit I don't feel a thing. The only bad side is that I've had more accidents (and I've never had bowel accidents in my 20+yrs post ). A lot more gas too.
    Pros and cons, huh. Have you been able to regulate system and get the bowels under control? Overall, it seems it was a positive change, unless the accidents continue and remains unmanageable.

Because more fruits and veggies, incl. grains tend to increase gas etc, I usually consume more of it the day before my BP (if go every other day), than on other days. This goes for spicy foods too

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    Remember, going veggie doesn't have to be limited to soy burgers and tofu. Most indian and south east asian dishes are meatless but very tasty. I never got the assumption equating vegetarianism with bland, tasteless food. Season it well, use lots of portobello's, tomatoes, garlic, onions and herbs to season. Also frying isn't bad, it's what we fry with. Dump the animal fat and use healthy vegetable oils. Coconut and grapeseed oils are good. My favorite meatless dish is Aloo Gobi which is spicy potatoes and cauliflower. Yum! Good luck Red!
    Agree totally!

I'm not a vegetarian, tho most of my diet consists of fruits, veggies and whole grain stuff...but again, spice is key! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE tofu. People who complain about the bland taste and grossed out by texture just have not tried the variety of textures and firmness it comes in, and the many ways to prepare it. I also enjoy it plain with a touch of salt (warm or cold). Great quick and easy way to add a bit of protein anytime.

I think I"ve been turned off by tofu's lousy public relations.

I was surprised to find out how many different forms tofu can come in, and thinking maybe I should give it a whirl. I'm not exactly an adventurous eater, but I try to keep an open mind. I'm not quite sure what tofu tastes like. Anyone?

Also curious if it's easy on the tummy. Debbie's stomach is very easily upset and trying to find something she can handle eating is not always easy. Maybe tofu is another option for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    I think I"ve been turned off by tofu's lousy public relations.

I was surprised to find out how many different forms tofu can come in, and thinking maybe I should give it a whirl. I'm not exactly an adventurous eater, but I try to keep an open mind. I'm not quite sure what tofu tastes like. Anyone?

Also curious if it's easy on the tummy. Debbie's stomach is very easily upset and trying to find something she can handle eating is not always easy. Maybe tofu is another option for her.
    My advice; if you're thinking of dabbling in veggie cusine, forget tofu; it's very bland and has the texture of soft margarine. Try the various brands and types of veggie burgers, hotdogs, etc. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=67044
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    My advice; if you're thinking of dabbling in veggie cusine, forget tofu; it's very bland and has the texture of soft margarine. Try the various brands and types of veggie burgers, hotdogs, etc. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=67044
    Thanks, Juke. Definitely need to make changes to my diet, definitely need to find more options for Debbie's. My carnivorous side does not appreciate the idea, but I used to maintain a diet with no red meat and I definitely felt better, so it's time to rethink the food agenda.

What vegtables give protien? I eat meat to stay healthy. Beans? = gas I have solved the gas problems and Betheny knows more than I. <hug Bethney>

Quote Originally Posted by Hunker
    What vegtables give protien? I eat meat to stay healthy. Beans? = gas I have solved the gas problems and Betheny knows more than I. <hug Bethney>
    Don't want to eat soy or nutz?

Fish and shellfish are much healthier ways to get your protien than all the red meats and poultry. I've eaten a diet of soy, wheat and nut protien anchored by a large portion of seafood for over nine months now and when I find myself craving animal protien these days, it's most often a nice piece of Coho salmon filet that I want; I never find myself wanting steak or most red meats although I'll treat myself to a beacon or sausage sandwich every once in a while. Always find myself feeling bad for those intelligent pigs though. The oils in many fish contain stuff that keeps your brain (and lots of other parts) working better into old age. I should know.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Red,
    there may be antioxidant and other health benefits from drinking teas, both green and black. There are mixed studies and nothing really conclusive to say 1 is better than the other. The amounts of antioxidant levels can vary greatly and also, unless one drinks a fairly large amount of teas daily, there may be no significant benefits. So, bottom line, just drink what tastes best to you and you enjoy (of course, cookies heighten pleasure a wee bit ).

Your diet seems pretty healthy and you are enjoying the changes you are making. Keep it up!

tea is good, but dont buy the bottled stuff, nestea green tea 16.oz =180 calories