Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Going Veggie?

Going Veggie?

Been giving serious thought to moving away from most meat and toward more vegetables and fruits. I've been a caravoir all my life, but now in my "golden years" less meat and more fruits and vegetables makes sense. I currently take a multi vitamin daily. Any suggestions, problems, etc.?

Scott Ish

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    Been giving serious thought to moving away from most meat and toward more vegetables and fruits. I've been a caravoir all my life, but now in my "golden years" less meat and more fruits and vegetables makes sense. I currently take a multi vitamin daily. Any suggestions, problems, etc.?

Scott Ish
    Go slow and review/rethink your motivations. While my sole motivation was improved health in my "golden years", I had a harder go of it than I've had since reading about the realities of the global impact of meat-based diets. It isn't for nothing that I gave prominence to the chrome-dome's quote as my sig.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 09-26-2006 at 11:53 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I recommend a diet composed strictly of lightly fried fatty bacon, no draining on paper towels.... straight from the skillet to a gooey kaiser roll swimming in tablespoons full of mayonnaise. Wash it all down with a large creamy milkshake and have a Three Musketeer bar for dessert.... the super-sized ones that cost about $2.00 apiece. Or half a cheesecake.

Vegetables are for sissys!

But you may want to consider the source of this recommendation.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Veggies

Bob C. That's the diet I've been following for nearly 70 years. In my faamily back in Oklahoma, if it wasn't fried, it wasn't cooked. Now, Chilis restaurants are cathching up with my late Mother by deep frying veggies. At my last physical, I weighed in 16 pounds more than the year before and transfers are getting to be a chore. Plus, I enjoy most vegetables and fruits, so I paln to add more to my plaste, with less meat.

Artistically,
    Art Werks

Red,
    Is it just the excess weight or other health concerns - ie. heart, cholesterol, etc?
    Weight alone can still be a great concern, esp. for SCI and transfers and other physical function (limits on).

If you stick with lean meats, you should be able to still get a pretty good, healthy balance, without feeling "deprived" or wanting. Not feeling satisfied can result in indulging in the foods you want to avoid.

Reducing weight will mostly depend upon amount of calories in and energy out. Health conditions may make it much more difficult to lose weight but those are factors which can be adjusted for, incl. metabolism.

Anyway, I think increasing veggies and fruits is a great thing. With lower calories and higher volume, you can eat more with less cal. and feel full.

Watch for any changes in your bowels/routine too.

Redneck,

I would bear in mind what your source of protein will be in the new vegetarian/fruit diet. Lentils? Tofu?

Non-medically yours,

Dr. Scholls

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    Watch for any changes in your bowels/routine too.
    Since adding more fruits/veggies to my diet, manual evacuation is no longer a necessity. I can push it out, for the first time in twenty years albeit I don't feel a thing. The only bad side is that I've had more accidents (and I've never had bowel accidents in my 20+yrs post ). A lot more gas too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    I recommend a diet composed strictly of lightly fried fatty bacon, no draining on paper towels.... straight from the skillet to a gooey kaiser roll swimming in tablespoons full of mayonnaise. Wash it all down with a large creamy milkshake and have a Three Musketeer bar for dessert.... the super-sized ones that cost about $2.00 apiece. Or half a cheesecake.

Vegetables are for sissys!

But you may want to consider the source of this recommendation.
    What's wrong? Too lazy to deep fry those 3 Musketeer bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    Bob C. That's the diet I've been following for nearly 70 years. In my faamily back in Oklahoma, if it wasn't fried, it wasn't cooked. Now, Chilis restaurants are cathching up with my late Mother by deep frying veggies. At my last physical, I weighed in 16 pounds more than the year before and transfers are getting to be a chore. Plus, I enjoy most vegetables and fruits, so I paln to add more to my plaste, with less meat.

Artistically,
    Art Werks
    Remember, going veggie doesn't have to be limited to soy burgers and tofu. Most indian and south east asian dishes are meatless but very tasty. I never got the assumption equating vegetarianism with bland, tasteless food. Season it well, use lots of portobello's, tomatoes, garlic, onions and herbs to season. Also frying isn't bad, it's what we fry with. Dump the animal fat and use healthy vegetable oils. Coconut and grapeseed oils are good. My favorite meatless dish is Aloo Gobi which is spicy potatoes and cauliflower. Yum! Good luck Red!
    Last edited by antiquity; 09-30-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info on going veggie, or at least cutting back in meat intake. Just completed annual physical and all is well except for disminished kidey function, which is not concerning the Dr. However, I picked up 12 pounds since last exam. My system tolerates spices fairly well, thus potentially bland vegetablescan be made more tasty. I'm looking forward to new reciepts.

Yours in good health,
    Candy Goode