Thread: Fes Info.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fes Info.

I am going to put a submission in to a institution over here as to the benefits of FES bike therapy in the hope that they will purchase one for use in their therapy regime. If any one has any links that show verifiable positive information as to the benefits of FES bike therapy I would appreciate it if you can post it here.
    Thanks in advance.

Dear friend,

Almost one month has passed and not one response to your post a bout FES bike benefits. It sounds there must not be any benefits of using this bike. I do know the bike is 15,000 dollars and also i found the following:

It is the stance of Project Walk that electrical stimulation confuses the nervous system because an outside foreign signal is being sent to the muscle overriding the natural signal of the nervous system."

Confusion of the CNS via e-stim is a very weak argument and based on very little if any (show me) research. Our body is built on an electrochemical gradient. Many have benefited from an electrical stimulus much larger than anything considered physiological (defibrillation). There are numerous modalities that will play a roll in recovery. The type of injury will most likely dictate which modalities are needed. Here are a few references and I will post more when I have a chance tomorrow.
    Wildwilly

References

Scremin AM, Kurta L, Gentili A, Wiseman B, Perell K, Kunkel C et al. Increasing muscle mass in spinal cord injured persons with a functional electrical stimulation exercise program. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1999; 80(12):1531-1536.

Hjeltnes N, Aksnes AK, Birkeland KI, Johansen J, Lannem A, Wallberg-Henriksson H. Improved body composition after 8 wk of electrically stimulated leg cycling in tetraplegic patients. Am J Physiol 1997; 273(3 Pt 2):R1072-R1079.

Chilibeck PD, Jeon J, Weiss C, Bell G, Burnham R. Histochemical changes in muscle of individuals with spinal cord injury following functional electrical stimulated exercise training. Spinal Cord 1999; 37(4):264-268.

Mohr T, Andersen JL, Biering-Sorensen F, Galbo H, Bangsbo J, Wagner A et al. Long-term adaptation to electrically induced cycle training in severe spinal cord injured individuals. Spinal Cord 1997; 35(1):1-16.

Belanger M, Stein RB, Wheeler GD, Gordon T, Leduc B. Electrical stimulation: can it increase muscle strength and reverse osteopenia in spinal cord injured individuals? Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2000; 81(8):1090-1098.

McDonald JW, Becker D, Sadowsky CL, Jane JA, Sr., Conturo TE, Schultz LM. Late recovery following spinal cord injury. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg 2002; 97(2 Suppl):252-265.

Bhambhani Y, Tuchak C, Burnham R, Jeon J, Maikala R. Quadriceps muscle deoxygenation during functional electrical stimulation in adults with spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord 2000; 38(10):630-638.

Raymond J, Davis GM, Climstein M, Sutton JR. Cardiorespiratory responses to arm cranking and electrical stimulation leg cycling in people with paraplegia. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1999; 31(6):822-828.

Hooker SP, Scremin AM, Mutton DL, Kunkel CF, Cagle G. Peak and submaximal physiologic responses following electrical stimulation leg cycle ergometer training. J Rehabil Res Dev 1995; 32(4):361-366.

Hooker SP, Figoni SF, Rodgers MM, Glaser RM, Mathews T, Suryaprasad AG et al. Physiologic effects of electrical stimulation leg cycle exercise training in spinal cord injured persons. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1992; 73(5):470-476.

Hooker SP, Figoni SF, Glaser RM, Rodgers MM, Ezenwa BN, Faghri PD. Physiologic responses to prolonged electrically stimulated leg-cycle exercise in the spinal cord injured. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1990; 71(11):863-869.

Mutton DL, Scremin AM, Barstow TJ, Scott MD, Kunkel CF, Cagle TG. Physiologic responses during functional electrical stimulation leg cycling and hybrid exercise in spinal cord injured subjects. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1997; 78(7):712-718.

Ragnarsson KT. Physiologic effects of functional electrical stimulation-induced exercises in spinal cord-injured individuals. Clin Orthop 1988;(233):53-63.

Faghri PD, Glaser RM, Figoni SF. Functional electrical stimulation leg cycle ergometer exercise: training effects on cardiorespiratory responses of spinal cord injured subjects at rest and during submaximal exercise. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1992; 73(11):1085-1093.

Skold C, Lonn L, Harms-Ringdahl K, Hultling C, Levi R, Nash M et al. Effects of functional electrical stimulation training for six months on body composition and spasticity in motor complete tetraplegic spinal cord-injured individuals. J Rehabil Med 2002; 34(1):25-32.

Jacob PL, Nash MS. Modes, benefits and risks of voluntary and electrically induced exercise in persons with spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Medicine 2001; 24(1):10-18.

Bremner LA, Sloane KE, Day RE, Scull ER, Auckland T. A clinical exercise system for paraplegic using functional electrical stimulation. Paraplegia,30:647-655.

Willy, thanks for posting that info, do you have any further information you can post on coordination dynamic therapy? My daughter is considering purchasing a GigerMD and we are interested in the particular application of this machine in this type of therapy. I noticed you posted here http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...057#post481057
    regarding ipsilateral and contralateral arm and leg movement, have you had a chance to evalutate this further?

I like the piece of equipment and the theory behind the different coordinated patterns that it forces an individual to go through. To briefly explain how the machine works, every revolution there is approximately 5 degrees of change in the gear ratio between the arms and the legs. This constant change allows for the arms and legs to be coupled (arms drive legs, legs drive arms, or some combination of the previous) in ipsilateral and contralateral patterns (and numerous patterns in between these two). I personally find it very difficult to coordinate the ipsilateral pattern, a less stable pattern for bipeds. Try crawling or even walking very fast utilizing the different patterns this may help to understand. Additionally, Schalow, performs various activities that couple the arms and legs (body weight support treadmill, crawling, supported jumping on a spring board...) in addition to training on the Giger. I did not get the feeling that Schalow was a huge supporter of FES but that it had its place in therapy. I like both and feel that the dosage and sequence of modality/equipment use will be based on each individuals injury, function, experimental procedure, and goals (daily, short term, long term ). Without examining and working with your daughter it would be hard to recommend the best piece of equipment for her. I have to present an in-service on what I learned in Estonia in a couple of weeks. I will try and post a brief summary. Please take a look at the article below. I have posted the link before but I think the article does a very nice job of explaining the principle of coupling the arms and legs along with coordination training. I believe this is the first American journal to cite Schalows work. He has numerous publications in European journals if I’m correct.
    Wildwilly

Moving the arms to activate the legs.

* Ferris DP,
    * Huang HJ,
    * Kao PC.

Department of Movement Science, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2214, USA. ferrisdp@umich.edu

Recent studies on neurologically intact individuals and individuals with spinal cord injury indicate that rhythmic upper limb muscle activation has an excitatory effect on lower limb muscle activation during locomotor-like tasks. This finding suggests that gait rehabilitation therapy after neurological injury should incorporate simultaneous upper limb and lower limb rhythmic exercise to take advantage of neural coupling.

PMID: 16829738 [PubMed - in process]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...arch&DB=pubmed

Willy thanks, I am not looking for a reccomendation for the giger but I know it is part of Prof. Schalows therapy. One reason we are looking at the Giger is because as you say the ability for the arms and legs to be coupled in constantly changing patterns, I believe we will also try this in conjunction with FES.