Thread: SCI mortality - this thread is not meant to bum

Question SCI mortality - this thread is not meant to bum

anyone out. I'm sp 29+ years doing very well. I've talked to my urologist and a GP. All physician's that I've met are surprised how well I'm doing and what I have done in my life. I'm not sure how to interpet that??

I got the general spill that every sci is different, and how you take care of yourself (bladder, bowels, substance abuse, etc) is the large factor. I've looked at tables there confusing and diverse in stats. Where can I find simplistic stats on SCI mortality (quad v. para, complete v. incomplete, age at injury, etc)?

I was talking to a fellow sci peer on the forum. We're passing the statistics (30+ years). I guess that's good. I was injured at 20. Just trying to look ahead. Any help is appreciated!

Hav a good 1
    FreeBird
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

You have lived most if not all of your adult life SCId. That´s amazing. You must be one hell of a lota strong.
    About life expectancy, it has changed so much in the past few years that I doubt if there are any reliable stats.
    According to the stats, you should be investing in some cemetery real estate, but stats are wrong.

I rehabbed with a guy who broke his neck at San Jose State

in "78' playing rugby. We kinda brought the subject up years later. Lot of people are gone The stats are no help for me. I guess you go with the flow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    You have lived most if not all of your adult life SCId. That´s amazing. You must be one hell of a lota strong.
    About life expectancy, it has changed so much in the past few years that I doubt if there are any reliable stats.
    According to the stats, you should be investing in some cemetery real estate, but stats are wrong.
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Thumbs up SCI mortality answers....

It doesn't take me long to find out.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected (made some contacts) What I've been told is that an individual with an SCI can have a comparable life expectancy as a AB depending on how you take care of yourself, infections, pressure sores etc. As far as my self and a few others we have outlived the mortality stats already We're still cruising.

So if your a newbie, youngin, or and old fart SCI like me you have a life to live. Take care of yourself and enjoy the life you do have. We lived for a reason folks. Go forward not backward

Have a good weekend!
    Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird
    We lived for a reason folks.
    Eh...

I think that if you take good care of yourself, life expectancy is getting close to the rest of the population.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Here are some statistics, but keep in mind that these are AVERAGES and do not dictate for anyone. Obviously as an average there are those who don't achieve these numbers, but also a lot who exceed them. Taking good care of yourself (eating right, exercising, checking your skin, getting immunizations, having regular health check-ups, etc.) can have a definite positive impact:

http://www.spinalcord.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=21446

Personally, I work with SCI survivors who were injured in WWII and the Korean War...a lot longer than I have been alive (and I'm no spring chicken)! They were all told they had 1-3 years to live when they were first injured.

(KLD)

Any information on injuries before age 20?
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Well, hopefully I'm not screwed. I've been paralyzed since age four! That would mean I'd die at around 40. Being young and cathing isn't really that good of practice. I messed up a lot, had a a lot of UTI's but only one kidney infection, which wasn't that bad. Just lately I've been feeling unhealthy, but about two weeks ago I felt perfect.