Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Emotion question-- anti-tippers

Yet another Emotion question-- anti-tippers

Emotioners: I know the DMEs make you order anti-tips when you get Emotions. Are they just covering their @$$es, or do you guys really think anti-tips are necessary with Emotions. Were you able to ditch them after you got the hang of the wheels?

Also, how about popping wheelies. I'm concerned about navigating the subway while using Emotions. You know-- the gap between the platform and the car. What do you guys think about that?

Much thanks, I so appreciate all the input you guys have shared with me over the past year or so that I've been posting here. This is definitely on of the better boards out there.
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

I do not know what diplegic CP is yet if you have good balance, then rock back a wheelie a make sure both wheels are even, then go for it. I have fell may time, so f you are scared or can't practce on a curve on the road. Fear i the problem with most people. A quad Tommy taught me how togo down a 12step stairs. He was an awesome person.

Hunker--

Are you talking about wheelies in general or wheelies with Emotion power assist? Sorry, couldn't tell from your post.

With my current set up (ZRA, Spinergies, no anti-tips), I can pop a wheelie in the sense that I can get those casters up off the ground to jump a curb or whatever. I'm wondering if I can at least do that with the power assist set up.

Cerebral Palsy is the result of an at-birth or near birth brain injury, and I have a lot of lot of spasticity (but not necessarily spasms), and severly compromised motor control in my legs. B/c of the spasticity, I really can't hold a chair on the two back wheels. "Diplegic" means essentially the same as paraplegic-- I can walk a little, but basically suck at it.

So, different disability than SCI, but a lot of the same issues, challenges, etc.
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Hunker--

Are you talking about wheelies in general or wheelies with Emotion power assist? Sorry, couldn't tell from your post.

With my current set up (ZRA, Spinergies, no anti-tips), I can pop a wheelie in the sense that I can get those casters up off the ground to jump a curb or whatever. I'm wondering if I can at least do that with the power assist set up.

Cerebral Palsy is the result of an at-birth or near birth brain injury, and I have a lot of lot of spasticity (but not necessarily spasms), and severly compromised motor control in my legs. B/c of the spasticity, I really can't hold a chair on the two back wheels. "Diplegic" means essentially the same as paraplegic-- I can walk a little, but basically suck at it.

So, different disability than SCI, but a lot of the same issues, challenges, etc.
    NJenn,
    Are you in a power chair? Your avatar said no. You are very attractive. If I know my stuff then you need to walk even if it sucks. I know 3 people Stan, Gerald & Patsy who could walk then sat down..stay on your feet as long as you can. I am a para, had braces but the hospital stole them when they were refurbished. Standing up no matter how is healthy :) Even if you suck at it. Keep posting because other people know more than I. :)

No, I don't use a power chair. I'm getting a pair of power assist wheels called "E-motions" to be used with a manual chair.

You can see them here: www.frankmobility.com, and click on "E-motion"

My question is can I pop a wheelie to get up a curb or over a subway threshold while using these wheels. And are anti-tips absolutely necessary with these wheels Anybody know?!?!?!?

Walking is not all it's cracked up to be: I have chronic, foot, ankle, knee, hip and back pain when I walk. I learned how to walk at 8, and 12 years of full-time "walking-funny" has essentially ruined my joints.I'd much rather roll.

Anyone have an answer to my question? Thanks in advance! Back to bed... I hate when my body wakes up at 3 am ready to go like it's 7.
    Last edited by NJenn; 09-21-2006 at 03:24 AM.

NJenn

I have e-motions and I got rid of the anti-tips after about 6 months - mainly because as I became more independent I got fed up of the restrictions they caused when turning in elevators or navigating tram tracks. They were always catching on things and people kicked them in restaurants EVERY time they went past.

How does your condition affect balance? I would say that is the biggest issue when wheelieing e-motions. It is possible to pop a wheelie but VERY difficult to hold because of the nature of the power assist. I tend to avoid doing it where possible because although I can pop an inch or two my timing has to be good.

Getting onto things with a gap is sometimes easier if you go backward. The tram where I live would require a wheelie to clear the gap forward but going on backward pulls the castors over the gap without all of your forward weight on it.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

WOW! I have never seen wheels like that. I agree with Rhino on the balance thing and how heavy will the wheels be with the batteries etc. I don't see any reason why you can not do curbs and stuff but any time you do stuff like that you take a chance on falling. You may want to use anti tips until you get a good feel of you new chair. Balance is the main point. That was a nice site too I like the chair that you could stand up in too.

Thanks RehabRhino, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Rock on. With my current set up, I can pop one for a second or two to get up curbs over gaps, etc. Can't hold a wheelie to save my life, but also haven't practiced much. When you pop a wheelie with the Emotions does your chair have a tendency to want to fall back forward, or flip back? I'm assuming forward, but then again I'm no physics genius.

I'm working with a cool DME (if you can believe it). He's bringing a pair back for me to demo again, and I bet he'll spot me and let me try.

Thank you again.

NJenn~ I hope this is helpful to you. Im a T10 para and ride around in a manual chair w/o emotion wheels and can wheelie with no problem. I have hopped in a few people I know chairs with emotions wheels just to mess around in. With the power turned off I could balance a wheelie pretty easily. With the power on however I couldnt do it. I tried multiple times with a spot and couldnt do it. I dont know if you practiced a whole lot if you could learn to balance or not. The emotion wheels make you tip backwards when trying to balance a wheelie.

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

I think they're too sensitive to truly balance..........ok for popping small wheelies for small kerbs and gaps
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."