Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i hate when people don`t understand my pain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i hate when people don`t understand my pain

because of the neurophatic pain sometimes i am depressed and i fell like screaming.my sister is taking care of me since my injury.when i am in a lot of pain i cannot smile i am nervous and i complain .her answers are killing me.i am in a lot of pain too, you are not the only sci in this world etc.i just try to calm down ,and to understand only one thing.some people cannot understand this kind of pain .they are crazy .they don`t know what is real pain and they complain when they have a tootache.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I'm sorry that you're in such pain... sort of wish I could take it away from you...you're not alone...we all go through some sort of pain but we have to take care of ourselves and be calm until the pain passes...Do whatever you have to do to release your pain...talk to someone and get some type of help with the pain...

thank you harley .what else can i do?just to calm down and to thank my sister and to my family .they are taking care of me.better to be home with them than to be in a nursing home.is just hard sometimes for me and for them too.as i told them ...better to be alive in pain or not ,good or bad,after i will leave you ,you will miss me.i hope they understand my pain and my feelings.
    to be onest without them i was dead by now.my loved ones just cannot understand what is sci and how this injury is affecting me. they knew me as a strong boy .i am still strong.i saw people who comitted suicide without a reason on the news.i told my family ....look at this guys,i should kill myself every minute after such an injury .all i need is love and understunding.

THE LOVE CAN CURE PAIN........
    Last edited by adi chicago; 09-20-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

i'm with ya, adi. i know ppl just don't understand our pain...mentally an physically. i was always considered an even considered myself STRONG, which i do still consider myself stronger than ever. but an sci takes a lot out of ya an it also adds a lot to ya, IMO.

like ya say........
    better to be alive in pain or not ,good or bad

you need to find pain management, cause it not going to go away or get better
    cauda equina

no one in this world wants to live in pain.is just hard to find the right meds,.without side effects and to help regarding our pain.
    as i sad. love and understanding can be the key .
    when you feel loved,..... the pain is gone even if you need morphine.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 09-20-2006 at 08:26 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Nobody who doesn't have similar pain can truly understand. When pain is worse than paralysis, that's saying something.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I gave up on people understanding my neuropathic pain. I am not SCI, but when I fell on my job, I sustained a complicated injury that gives me neurpathic pain on varying levels down my right leg. The more activity I have the more pain. Once it flares, I cannot do much, its a constant endeavor to keep an even keel. Last night I went to see the Orioles play in Baltimore and by the time I got out of my seat, the walk to the car made me sick to my stomach. No one understands this when I describe it. You have my sympathies, just keep trying things til you come up with something that helps even a little bit. I left at the 7th inning, I could not take anymore. Sucks to have any bit of a life driven by pain or fear of pain. Alan totally gets this and I thought of him last night from left field. Sorry you hurt so much.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

As an AB I have come to appreciate that I can't comprehend the pain that my mother or others on SCI have. It took a while for my sister and me to fully appreciate that. At first we were in a denial about how bad it was, and wanted to believe that if she were just to relax and not get so upset the pain wouldn't be so bad. In her case there was a grain of truth to that, but not nearly as much as we thought/hoped. You want to say something reassuring when someone you love is in pain, but "I understand how you feel" is wrong. I've come to realize that sometimes when she is in pain that I have to understand she's in discomfort I can't imagine, listen to her complain if she wants and do what I can to address the immediate cause of the pain without pretending that anything I do will make it better right away.

At the risk of being presumptious, are you recieving or considering counseling? Mom found that counseling was helpful not only in dealing with her own issues in accepting her SCI, but in figuring out how to deal with others who were having difficulting adjusting to her SCI. My stepfather in particular had a hard time understanding the severity of her condition. Her counselor helped her figure out ways to approach him on the subject and there's a lot less tension in their relationship as well.

Having said that, I can also tell you that there is reason to be optimistic that it will get better. the combination of the passage of time, fine tuning medications, a good therapy program and other pain management techniques have reduced the instances of unbearable pain mom has dramatically. I hope that you are able to find the combination that does the same foryou.

thank you for your advise cubsfandc.i think that time,understanding,love and meds.will solve this problem.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 09-23-2006 at 11:11 AM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.