Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Compression Fracture of T12.

Why didn't your doctor order mri? X-RAY does not show cord. You need an mri. CT shows bone. Compression fractures won't heal. Orthopedic Doctor told us, it will take about a year for swelling to diminish. How much is it compressed?
    It is important to get up and move after compression fracture....I don't think work is recommended, unless your job is not to physical.
    If you can find a Neurologist, this is where I would go. I have found with my son, it is very difficult to find a Neurologist and not Neuro-surgeon who specializes in spine injuries. My son is a little over six months post accident. We have seen many Doctors...still looking for right one.
    Our family doctor told my son he did not need brace one week after accident. You need a Neurologist. We went the Orthopedic route, after seeing Neuro-surgeon. Now we are going to see another Neurosurgeon, as we were not able to find Neurologist who specializes in spine. I heard he is good, I am hopeful...but still wonder if no surgery is necessary, if he will not be interested in diagnosing son. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope.
    If you can avoid our six months of mistakes, wrong Doctors...please do. We wasted many hours on these docs.
    A neurologist or neuro-surgeon will most likely order mri. I would get this over a CT, unless your compression fracture is significant.
    Diana

Scooter Mom a burst fracture is worse then a compression fracture that could be why you are on stronger pain killer. It's been 4 1/2 months now and I'm back to normal. I am riding again. I wear a back brace to ride, back protection and a helmet now. I get muscle knotting after I do an activity of riding or lifting things so then I ice and wear the soft back brace for a little while. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but I don't know what a burst fracture is like. Get an MRI and good luck Scooter Mom! Keep us posted.

surgery for a t12 compression fracture

i am considering surgery for my t12 compression fracture. has anyone out there had this type of spinal fusion? i need advise!!! </IMG>

Quote Originally Posted by 3mgirls
    i am considering surgery for my t12 compression fracture. has anyone out there had this type of spinal fusion? i need advise!!! </IMG>
    Can I ask you why you are considering this route? has it been recommended by your Dr.? How have you been treated so far?

Quote Originally Posted by gajumpr
    7 weeks ago I fell from one of my horses and suffered an anterior compression fracture of T12. I am a 27 year old female.

The pain has gotten a lot better, but I still have bad days...and those are expected. My Dr, who I also work for, has me in a brace and I start PT in two more weeks. He is a Sports Med Dr, so I trust his opinion.

Last week we took some more x-rays to check the progress. The fracture is still visable as is the compression...nothing has really changed. He says this is common and since it is anterior, there should be no affects from the fractured corner nor the compression.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this injury, and, if on X-rays, it is normal for it to appear the same? I dont want this to hinder my riding or other activities or cause me problems later in life. Where does the disk go when the compression doesnt "heal"?

Thanks.

gajumpr,

I really didn't understand your question until just now upon re-reading this entire thread. Let me try to answer your question.
    • Fracture. An anterior compression fracture of T12 means that your T12 vertebrae has been compressed and broke as a result of the T11 and L1 vertebra coming together and partly crushing it.
    • Disc herniation. Although they can, your discs apparently did not herniate into your spinal canal to compress your spinal cord or into your foramina (where the roots come out) to compress your spinal roots. I say this because if it had your doctor would be urging you to have surgery.
    • Healing. Healing does not mean that the T12 vertebral body will regain its former shape, although that is of course what one would hope. After healing, it may retain a wedged shape and hence not provide sufficient support for your spine. If this is severe, you may need surgery to fuse those segments.

The fact that your doctor is reassuring you tells me that you don't have a severe compression fracture of T12 and that has healed in a way that does not threaten your posture and does not require surgery. If nothing is compressing on the spinal cord or roots, you are not in pain, and your posture is reasonable, it is best to postpone surgery for as long as you can.

Wise.

How are you finding the Oxycontin?

For Scooter Mom

My husband is on Oxy's after multiple fractures from sacrum to T5. He has been on 20mg SR for 2 years. He sleeps 15 hours per day. Before the accident he used to sleep 4-6 hours a night. They blame this on the Oxy. He has poor memory, concentration and comprehension. Not really bad but noticable. He forgets major, recent events. He is also clumsy and unstable - always falling over. He has apneas and choking events too. Do you get anything like this on the Oxy. The docs seem to think the Oxy could account for all this - which is why I would like them to try alternatives - but they do not want to. I think there must be something else involved. He was like this months before he started on Oxy. They only gave him Voltarol at the hospital and he was the same then.

Banned
    Hi my name is Kevin i live just out side aspen co. A few weeks ago, i compressed my t12 in a skydiving landing. When i read the question that you have posted it caught my eye. I also have the same semidomes as you . so i was just wandering if you herd anything? if so please let me know. thanks kevin
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-24-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Kevin, I have removed your e-mail address. It is not wise to post this publically as it sets you up for spam and lots of unwanted messages. You and those who want to privately communicate with you can use the Private Message function here, or the e-mail function, as long as you have them turned on. You can also post your questions to the forums.

(KLD)

how

Just a question here... I can so confused about this thread. How can you fracture and compoundly compress your spine at T12 and still be able to walk? How can you get around? You said in the beginning that you were worried about jumping again in the future. How well do you get around? I suppose you are not in a wheelchair?
    I compoundly compressed my T12 and my legs didn't move an inch for 2 months. When I even slightly wiggled a toe (people couldn't even see the movement it was so slight) I was screaming that I would be better. Its been 7 months in a few days and I only have minimul movement in my legs.
    Just a friendly question.......

Some people are just incredibly lucky and have only spinal fractures without any cord damage or compression, even with significant displacement of the bones.

Compression fractures of the body of the vertebrae often result in a lot of pain, but no paralysis. Compound fractures (where the bone sticks out through the skin) are extremely rare in the spine.

Many people break their backs every day who don't have paralysis. Most here were not so lucky.

(KLD)