Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Patient Lift & standing frame

Electric Patient Lift & standing frame

Hi,

I need to buy a patient lift and a standing frame (some device that will help make him stand for two 30 minutes sessions every day) for home use for my dad.

I dont know much about these products, did a lot of research and am very confused. Any advice, tips from experienced users will be highly appreciated.

Here are details of his condition & the environment he is in (This may help pick the righ one)

- His primary care giver is my mom a very old lady. She should be able to get the lift wheels to move in the right direction easily with my dad hanging from the lift.

- His weight is 120 pounds / 60 kgs and height is 5'4".

- He has very low cognitive skills sometimes (not always) and not much movement on the left side and 40% movement on the right side.

- Main requirements are to move him from bed to chair, chair to bed, bed to bed and chair to chair. Access across rooms is ideal.

- Bath access - bath tub access NOT needed, she has a special bath area and chair, so the lift has to place him from chair/bed to the bath chair, the bath floor may be wet and entrance is narrow (2. feet wide * 6. feet high)

- ALL Floors are tiled (No Carpets), may be slightly sliperry

- If I can find one device that acts as a standing frame and lift that will be great but given that his cognitive skills are low and he may not be able to intellligently use the standing lift, it may be better to buy a non standing lift and a standing frame seperately.

- Lastly price is not an issue. Any price is ok, lifts not covered by insurance is also ok.

Any advice, tips from experienced users will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you very much,

I am no expert, but here are some thoughts (I apologize in front for them being fairly negative):
    Is he SCI? If so, what level? (thinking about whether upper body support is required)
    It's not likely you can find one piece of equipment to do all these tasks.
    Would your mom be able to get a sling under him for transfers? How does he transfer now?
    It helps that he's small.
    I would not want to move anyone from room to room while they're hanging from a hoist. Perhaps it's done(?), but that's my feeling. It sounds like the lift would not need to go through the bathroom door while he's in it - good.
    There's a danger that your mom might slip & hurt herself on a wet floor, even just pushing him in the bath chair.
    My guess is you should be able to find a lift & a standing frame for <$1.5K and $2K, respectively.
    I use a Hoyer/Partner lift; we don't have a way to stand my wife yet. The lift is hard to move around on the carpet, but you don't have that problem; it should be way easier on a hard floor.
    Associated with a standing frame - could you rig up something to motivate him to be in it? Maybe arrange a TV to be visible from that vantage point, etc.? Otherwise I could see him being reluctant to get in it.
    Perhaps others here might have some more useful input.
    Best regards & good luck,
    - Richard

Try www.liko.com My wife has to move me around. I'm paralyed from the neck down although not from SCI. She can move me easily with this lift and they're coming out with a lift that will also stand you
    Steve

If money is no object, I would strongly recommend a ceiling track lift. My 85 year old father uses one for my mother, who has tetraplegia due to MS and weighs well over 200 lb. It is smooth, easy to use, and storage is not a problem. Some good companies to look into include Liko, Guldmann, Sure Hands, and Waverly Glen.

A stand-up lift is really only appropriate for those who are 1) fully cooperative and can follow directions 2) can partially voluntarily weight bear through their legs, and 3) have normal or nearly normal use of their arms and hands. They don't replace or function like a standing frame.

A ceiling track lift could be used to get your dad onto a standing frame for some standing daily.

If price is not an issue...get your mother some paid help. The best thing we ever did was insist that my father get help from a part-time PCA for my mother's care. They are both happier, less stressed, and I don't worrry so much about either of them.

(KLD)

Thank you so very much for all the details. I have selected the below lift based on everyone’s recommendation -
    Liko -> Golvo
    http://www.liko.se/web/frameset.asp?toggle=&topnumber=2&market=&marketid= 132&pageid=4132&menuid=1622
    http://www.liko.se/web/bildarkiv/golvo_en.html
    I liked it as it has all the benefits of an overhead lift and is a mobile lift. Do let me know if I can go ahead and buy the above lift……
    If anyone has any experience with the above lift your inputs will be very useful.

Here are answers to your questions -
    - Currently we have very strong helper who can lift my dad and move him to chair. Standing is also manual - He and I currently manually support my dad to make him stand...The helper is too good but he will be taking up another job end of this year. The new helper definitely cannot lift him / support him with the standing, so the need for a lift & stander.
    - My mother can get a diaper & bed sheets under him, so I am hoping she can get the slings under him.
    - Ceiling lifts seem to be the best but I am worried about
    - moving to another house
    - Access to multiple rooms
    Last edited by jay_rt; 09-19-2006 at 11:56 PM.

The Golvo is a nice lift, but it still can be difficult to steer and push over flooring, esp. carpet, and it takes a lot of storage space (does not fold up compactly). If you are determined to get a mobile lift instead of a ceiling track lift, I would recommend looking at the Hoyer Advance, as well as the Liko Light, and the Molift Smart should also be considered. The Golvo also does not come with all the features you see pictured...most require an additional charge for an additional feature/attachment/sling.

A ceiling track lift system can be moved to another home fairly easily. You can also get one (like my parents have) which has a movable motor. They have 3 separate sections of track in different parts of the house, and move the lift/motor easily from one to the other as needed. Nearly all the major companies make lifts like this. You can also consider a free-standing track lift, although these are usually best for just one room.

Whatever you buy, I would urge you to find a vendor who will let you try it BEFORE you purchase, ideally in your parents'
    home, not just in a showroom.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-20-2006 at 02:25 AM.

http://www.planetmobility.com/store/...000/index.html
    i got a you beaut one i had made,sorta like above.
    but thats here in aus.
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

HI SCI Nurse,

You were absolutely right about the mobile lifts... even with hard wood floors ther are tough to manuever in small rooms. Even the liko light model that I saw a demo of was too space consuming.....

The biggest constraint for me in going with a ceiling lift is that the country where my parents live doesnt have any cerified installers for any brand of patient lift to setup the ceiling tracks.

Like you suggested I did some research on free-standing overhead portable lifts and found two that are pretty good.

LiftAid 2000
    Guardian Voyager & Easy Track

In both if I select the 4 post configuration, it gives access to the entire room. I can always add access to adiitional rooms for $1000-2000...

They also has support for gait training slings...

The only disadvantage is the extra steps for transfers between rooms, example ->
    Step1. bed to wheelchair using lift
    Step2. wheel chair to bath char (inside bathroom) chair using lift[move portable lift to the bathroom tracks]
    Step3. bathchair back to wheelchair using bathroom lift
    Step4. wheel chair back to bed [move portable lift back to bedroom tracks]

HI SCI Nurse,

You were absolutely right about the mobile lifts... even with hard wood floors they are tough to maneuver in small rooms. Also, even the liko light model that I saw a demo of was too space consuming in smaller rooms and a pain to dismantle and store each time.

The biggest constraint for me in going with a ceiling lift is that my parents live in India and we don’t have any certified installers for any brand of patient lift to setup the ceiling tracks. I will be buying it in the US and taking it back to India.

However like you suggested I did some research on free-standing overhead portable lifts and they seem to be a great idea. It is so easy I can set it up myself in no time. [Thank u so much for the tip, I think it will be a great help for my mom in terms of taking care of my mom]

- LiftAid 2000
    - Guardian Voyager & Easy Track

In both if I select the 4 post configuration; it gives access to any part of the entire room. I can always add access to additional rooms in the future for $800 to $2000

These lifts also have support for gait training slings...so helps with the standing & walking…

The only disadvantage is the extra steps for transfers between rooms, example ->
    Step1. Bed to wheelchair using lift
    Step2. Wheel chair to bath chair using lift [move portable lift to the bathroom tracks]
    Step3. Bath chair back to wheelchair using bathroom lift
    Step4. Wheel chair back to bed using lift [move portable lift back to bedroom tracks]

All,

Please do let me know if I can go ahead and buy the above lift……
    If anyone has any experience with the above lift your inputs will be very useful.

Thank You.

take it from someone that uses 2 ceiling mounted lifts daily. this is the ONLY way to go especially if the person helping or taking care of you is of older age. i use Guldmann lifts http://www.guldmann.com/index.php?newlang=us and have 1 over my bed to get in/out of, to get in/out of my shower chair, and to get in/out of my Nu Step stepper. i use my other lift in another room to get in/out of my Easystand 6000 glider. it sounds asif he needs a separate stander as well. i got mine from planetmobility as philquad36 linked.

installation of the lifts are quite simple. three lags (bolts) screw into the existing ceiling supports and can be moved quite easily if needed.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

my bedroom has a trey ceiling over the bed. could a ceiling lift still be used?