Thread: AFO's

AFO's

I currently use an AFO on my left foot that goes up the back of my calf and then straps with velcro. Mine was made from a cast they took of my lower leg and it still rubs despite it being "custom" Does anyone else have to use an AFO to ambulate? If so, what type do you use and/or recommend.

Thanks.

solarscar69: I use AFOs only for walking, and they are on my legs for about 45 minutes. When I first received them I was told that I could wear them most of the day, but I found them to be a little uncomfortable and for me, I figured out a way so I would not have to wear them for an extended period of time. I know some people wear their AFOs for eight hours or more, and they have to add more padding when needed or have them slightly modified or adjusted by the prothesis technician.

PN

I wear mine about 10 hours a day. I have callouses to show it!!

I've got the callouses too, and need to have the AFO looked at. Do they ever tell you when you should get a new one? Mine is rubbing hard, I'm afraid I'm getting a sore on my foot (it's only pencil lead sized). I plan to have my physiatrist check next week. It has never been comfortable, but then being attached to these feet isn't either. Come on, folks, help us out w/ some info!!!!

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000

I wear AFOs on both feet for 12-13 hours. I do not have callouses yet - but probably will because I have "hot" spots at the end of the day. I wear compression hose and a pair of socks - found that this cuts down on the rubbing on my feet and helps keep the swelling down. I've got an appointment with my physiatrist in mid-Jan and will ask for advice.

I wear AFOs from 10-16 hours a day, almost every day. I also wear Jobst stockings due to edema and socks over them. I've been wearing them for 1 1/2 years with no problems, other than that at the end of the day, it's a relief to get them off because of the swelling. Oddly enough, on days I don't wear them, my feet hurt worse after several hours than when I do.

Was wondering if anybody used any type of shoe insert over the AFO. Mine hurt in the arch of voth feet. Was in the store this weekend and passed the shoe department and saw all of the insoles made for shoes but thought maybe they could be used on top of the AFO to reduce the rubbing on my feet.

T12, Oct 2003

It sounds like the fit of your AFO needs to be adjusted. A prosthetist can flare out the areas that are rubbing. It's not really safe to be using a device that puts your skin at risk. Ask for a referral to a prosthetist or to a physical therapist from your doc.

RAB