Thread: Rectal mucosal prolapse

Rectal mucosal prolapse

after about 2 1/2 years of severe burning pain in my lower intestines, I was diagnosed with "Rectal mucosal prolapse" which was causing redness, irritation, and inflammation. Dr. recommended I try anti-inflammatory medications for a few weeks, if that didn't work I would have to have the PPH surgical procedure done. Is there anything else I can try before the surgical procedure? Is the condition reversible without surgery?

I'm a C-5 quadriplegic, incomplete, 12 years post. Bowel program for the past 12 years has been using the magic bullet every other day, sitting on bedside commode for 30 minutes to an hour, followed by digital stimulation. I take inner cleanse capsules which seem to keep the stool fairly soft. I'm assuming the length of the program is probably what caused the problem, but don't know what else to try. Considering trying a saline enema every day for about a week to speed up the process, is there any bad side effects to trying this?
    Last edited by Fragile; 09-18-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Hi Fragile,

bumping this post up. I had a surgeon recommend PPH procedure for hemorrhoids and wondered if you had decided on a course of action in your situation. The two surgeons I have seen, a colorectal and general don't have any experience with SCI and I am very reluctant to go under the knife with anyone who doesn't have some SCI knowlege.

In the meantime my butt feels like it is on fire 85% of the time so I need to do something.

Would be interested if anyone has had PPH done ( Procedure for Prolapse and Hemorrhoids) and any feedback ? opinions?

Thanks, Ches

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    Hi Fragile,

bumping this post up. I had a surgeon recommend PPH procedure for hemorrhoids and wondered if you had decided on a course of action in your situation. The two surgeons I have seen, a colorectal and general don't have any experience with SCI and I am very reluctant to go under the knife with anyone who doesn't have some SCI knowlege.

In the meantime my butt feels like it is on fire 85% of the time so I need to do something.

Would be interested if anyone has had PPH done ( Procedure for Prolapse and Hemorrhoids) and any feedback ? opinions?

Thanks, Ches
    I have a doctors appointment (my general practitioner) on October 30, hoping he will refer me to a local surgeon in a nearby town (about 40 miles away) who will perform the PPH. Wish I could go back to the doctor (colorectal surgeon) who diagnosed the condition, but the two-day trip to his office is too long, painful, and expensive.

Hi Fragile,

If the rectal mucosa is actually prolapsing (or coming out) of your anus then it is my experience that you would need surgical intervention.
    If it is red, inflammed and irritated without the membrane protruding out, you could try antiinflammatories such as anusol, hydrocortisone rectal, etc.

A saline enema might be soothing and less irritating than some other bowel suppositories- its hard to say as everyone is individual in their sensations.

Of course, this all depends on how much sensation you have at the rectum. I am thinking you are incomplete or it would not be so painful.

Also agree that it is best to get a surgeon with experienc in SCI.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Hi Fragile,

If the rectal mucosa is actually prolapsing (or coming out) of your anus then it is my experience that you would need surgical intervention.
    If it is red, inflammed and irritated without the membrane protruding out, you could try antiinflammatories such as anusol, hydrocortisone rectal, etc.

A saline enema might be soothing and less irritating than some other bowel suppositories- its hard to say as everyone is individual in their sensations.

Of course, this all depends on how much sensation you have at the rectum. I am thinking you are incomplete or it would not be so painful.

Also agree that it is best to get a surgeon with experienc in SCI.

AAD
    luckily no, it's not coming out, just a horrible burning pain. I've tried anusol, proctofoam, Preparation H (creams and suppositories), no relief at all. The colorectal surgeon wasn't surprised they didn't help. He did suggest ibuprofen and aleve, unfortunately neither helped. Strange though, for the last two weeks I've been bedridden because of the pain, woke up this morning with only minimal pain. See what happens tomorrow.

Yes, I am incomplete, I'd guess the sensation I have around the rectum is about 75% of normal.

First thing I'll ask the surgeon... have you heard of autonomic dysreflexia?
    Last edited by Fragile; 10-17-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks for the reply Fragile. I have been offline with family visiting for the week.

I can relate to the burns you describe. The pain drives me crazy and is debilitating. I am going to see a third surgeon who my urologist recommended. I refuse to let anyone who doesn't have a clue about SCI start cutting on me. At the same time I need pain relief and have thought it might be another good reason to consider a colostomy.

Will see what happens...

Did you get PPH?

Hi Fragile,

You're not set up to recieve PM's so bumping this up to ask if you ever got PPH surgery? If so how are you faring and did it "rectify" the problem?
    ( coudn't resist word choice.)

As mentioned previous, I am considering same and think after the holidays going to work seriously with a surgeon.

Thanks, would appreciate any update & hope you are doing well,
    Paul