Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stomach

Stomach

Here's what i totally don't get. I am supposed to be parlayzed from T6 lesion down but yet i feel the whole inside of my stomach. i feel everything all the way down. But here's the weird thing....if i can feel the whole inside of my stomach how come i can't feel my bladder or bowl? So bizarre to me.

T6, ASIA A ( i think im B) - 10 months post

I feel light touch in one entire leg and don't feel the other almost completely. It's how SCI works. Very complex in how the brain communicates with the body after an SCI.

it's all weird to me spidergirl. i burnt half dollar sized places on both ankles from sitting to close to a heater an never felt a thing. yet i can feel if i'm touched/rubbed everywhere below injury.

rollin,have you ever been Dxed with partial brown sequard syndrome?can you also not actually feel the difference between hot and cold?do they both feel rather 'neutral" in temp?

i was Dxed with the BS syndrome when i saw my NS for a follow up visit after my spinal cord surgery.while i can feel even the slightest touch on my R side,i cannot feel surface pain or hot and cold.the BS is caused from a hemisection of the cord and mostly when the spinothalamic tract is damaged,the same tract that can cause central pain?do a bit of googling on brown sequard and read thru some of the info and see how your particular condition and symptoms actually compare.while true full brown sequard is very rare,the majority of us who have it actually have whats called partial brown sequard.

the most bizarre thing about this with me is,while i cannot even feel the jabbing of a needle halfway into the right side of my body,i CAN feel the hidious pain from the RSD.i was told by my NS that thatis due to the fact that the RSD is sympathetically generated.but that knee just hurts like hell but go jab a needle into my stomach or inner thigh,two of most sensitive areas on the body?i will feel nothing but the actual needle sensation of it going into my skin,no pain whatsoever.now thats freaky.i think you may also have the BS syndrome as well.like i mentioned above,just do a bit of research on it to compare it to what you have been experiencing with all of your symptoms.marcia

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    it's all weird to me spidergirl. i burnt half dollar sized places on both ankles from sitting to close to a heater an never felt a thing. yet i can feel if i'm touched/rubbed everywhere below injury.
    I think separate fibers carry temp sensations as opposed to touch sensations. Am I wrong on that?

Quote Originally Posted by firesmurf
    rollin,have you ever been Dxed with partial brown sequard syndrome?can you also not actually feel the difference between hot and cold?do they both feel rather 'neutral" in temp?
    i've never heard of this actually. i'm gonna google an see what the symptoms sound like.

hot and cold feel the same to me but i can tell exactly when an where i'm rubbed or touched at. i can pinch myself below injury an kinda feel [something]. it makes me jump. i can feel this awful back pain in one particular spot, plus i can feel when this right hip is aching. it's really hard to explain which i'm sure all sci knows this. even harder to try an explain to a dr., lol.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    I think separate fibers carry temp sensations as opposed to touch sensations. Am I wrong on that?
    i'm not sure david, but seems i've read something of this nature somewhere while searching the net.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    no, you aren't wrong. altho i forget which is which, dorsal cord carries some diff sensations as opposed to other parts of of the cord.

i have touch sensation to my toes. no thermal or sharp/dull.

this is not news. i had an entire c-section w/o anesthesia. i could feel it but it didn't hurt.
    Last edited by cass; 09-26-2006 at 03:38 AM.

you ARE one brave woman!!i would still be afraid i would feel something,at least a little bit.

i think the vagus actually runs to the stomach and many other places in the upper abdominal area but i cannot remember just what controls the bladder?i too now have a neurogenic bladder along with kidney disease so i never know for sure just what is causing what these days.look up the cranial nerves,i do remeber seeing a drawing and some really great illistrations on a couple of sites(of course i don't have the urls anymore) that showed just how all the nerves run from the brain on down thru out the body.i wish i had thought to keep them in my favs.marcia

hey rollin,did you google brown sequard yet??i really DO think this may be what you have.just the partial like i do.what you explained as symptoms really fits it to a T.unfortunetly,like everything else related to SCI, there really isn't much you can do about it,its just another label,but at least it would explain what you are feeling,and not feeling,lol.its just sooo incredibly hard to try and explain to anyone,even my docs,just the full symptoms of this and how i can feel that light touch,but not the pain of something.one other thing i noticed with this is when there is anything that can actually cause inner pain(not from an outside forsce)like with the damage in my knee along with some aspects of the RSD,everything feels like burning and stinging.but only when the pain trigger is coming from the INSIDE of my body,like with my R sided kidney pain?i will get this really bad stinging and burning stemming from my kidney on that affected side every once in a while.my NS said he is pretty sure its coming from my now really huge 19cm kidney while it moves and settles into a new area.it no longer fits into the normal spot.same thing on the left too,but i KNOW for sure that pain is the kidney as i can feel that just fine.just another freak show oddity courtesy of SCI.Marcia

Another thing that's baffling, how come I can push my stomach out, but cannot suck it in?? Hey, that's called movement

Quote Originally Posted by firesmurf
    hey rollin,did you google brown sequard yet??
    yes, you're right. those are the exact same symptons i have. i'm going to see a new neurologist in a couple of weeks, i'll ask an see if maybe he can shed some light.