Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biang Biang Noodles

Biang Biang Noodles

There is a special kind of noodles in Xiangshi province, where Xi'an is located, in Western China. Called biang biang mian (Chinese for noodles), this is considered by the Chinese to be one of the ten wonders of China.

The special significance of these noodles is emphasized in part by the Chinese character for "biang":

One of the most complex characters in contemporary Chinese use, this character is not found in modern dictionaries or even in the Kangxi dictionary which is suppose to be the definitive compilation of traditional characters in the Chinese language. It is written in 57 strokes. No Chinese that I have met, including some very educated people, knew how to write this character. In fact, it is so complicated that there is a little ditty that people memorize in order to remember how to write the character (I want to try it here to see if I can get some Chinese on this site).

Traditional 一點上了天,黃河兩道灣,八字大張口,言字往進走,你一扭我一扭,你一長我一長,當中加個馬大王,心字底月 字旁,掛個丁丁叫馬杠,坐着車車逛咸陽。

Simplified 一点上了天,黄河两道湾,八字大张口,言字往进走,你一扭我一扭,你一长我一长,当中加个马大王,心字底月 字旁,挂个丁丁叫马杠,坐着车车逛咸阳。

The noodles are flat, thick, and long. It is sort of fried with all sorts of materials. Quite chewy and filling, biang biang mian is usually served in a huge dish and usually suffices to feed half a dozen persons in one sitting.

Source

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    There is a special kind of noodles in Xiangshi province, where Xi'an is located, in Western China. Called biang biang mian (Chinese for noodles), this is considered by the Chinese to be one of the ten wonders of China.

The special significance of these noodles is emphasized in part by the Chinese character for "biang":

One of the most complex characters in contemporary Chinese use, this character is not found in modern dictionaries or even in the Kangxi dictionary which is suppose to be the definitive compilation of traditional characters in the Chinese language. It is written in 57 strokes. No Chinese that I have met, including some very educated people, knew how to write this character. In fact, it is so complicated that there is a little ditty that people memorize in order to remember how to write the character (I want to try it here to see if I can get some Chinese on this site).

Traditional 一點上了天,黃河兩道灣,八字大張口,言字往進走,你一扭我一扭,你一長我一長,當中加個馬大王,心字底月 字旁,掛個丁丁叫馬杠,坐着車車逛咸陽。

Simplified 一点上了天,黄河两道湾,八字大张口,言字往进走,你一扭我一扭,你一长我一长,当中加个马大王,心字底月 字旁,挂个丁丁叫马杠,坐着车车逛咸阳。

The noodles are flat, thick, and long. It is sort of fried with all sorts of materials. Quite chewy and filling, biang biang mian is usually served in a huge dish and usually suffices to feed half a dozen persons in one sitting.

Source

Wise.
    the chinese characters didnt work for me unfortunately, are these similar to the kheow teow flat rice noodles but thicker?
    Last edited by IanTPoulter; 09-17-2006 at 03:24 AM.

I see the Chinese characters.

Now I'm hungry for noodles...

mac auto loads the fonts

They sound like a blast. Get it? Biang Biang... a blast. Damn I'm cheezy.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    the chinese characters didnt work for me unfortunately, are these similar to the kheow teow flat rice noodles but thicker?
    I was afraid that the display of the chinese characters would be font dependent. I think that these are buckwheat and not rice. Very chewy.

Wise.

chinese characters worked on my dell.

are you getting fat, wise?

The characters all came out fine for me. What's really strange is they are italicised where Ian quoted you - they came out fine there, too. I've never seen Chinese characters in italics before! The biang character is very interesting, thanks for showing it here.
    I was in Xian for a couple of days nearly 20 years ago, wish I had heard of biang biang mian then. Paid a visit to the hospital & talked a bit about dual chamber pacing with a few docs there. The hospital seemed like a pretty bare & bleak place, from what I remember.
    - Richard

yes, Im missing fonts I think, but I do most of my posting on a work PC and cant load anything on.

too bad ian. tho my work pc picks this up and i didn't load any fonts. how old is your work pc?