Thread: Spasticity and muscle building

Unhappy Spasticity and muscle building

This could probably be made into two posts, but I'll combine them any way. I'm a vent dependent C2/3 quad 21 years post injury.

About a month ago, I started going to my local hospital to get some weekly PT. Just a little more extensive stretching of the joints than I usually do. Mostly everything is improving, legs go straighter at the knee, arms go higher and general movement is improving, slowly. However, now my shoulders, kness and hips are popping and cracking with my normal exercises. I'm told, and somewhat agree, that this is due from loosening up and loosing some stability. The hospital where I'm getting the therapy is in no way SCI prepared, I asked about pool therapy but I was told they wouldn't know how to do it with me on a vent and don't have the equipment, they use the indoor public pool for patients. Should I look for something else or possibly point to some references? I'm hoping to be able to decrease my spasm meds through this, but am a long way from that happening.

Problem two is muscle density in one leg. From 03-05 I pretty well had annual pressure sores on my upper right leg that ended up getting a muscle flap. I wouldn't be allowed to exercise the leg for several weeks after surgery, therefore causing the muscles to weaken and shrink. For the first two surgeries, I was always able to build the muscle back up to the same amount as the other leg. The last surgery was November 28, 2005 with the same course of action. However, almost a year later, we haven't been able to build up the leg as well again. Was it odd the first two times to get it built up again or am I just doing something wrong? The same exercises and more, from stretching, are being done as last time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I thought I had seen all the problems this far along, but this is something new. It feels great to be getting in some good stretching, but I always want to do more.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

The hospital where I'm getting the therapy is in no way SCI prepared, I asked about pool therapy but I was told they wouldn't know how to do it with me on a vent and don't have the equipment, they use the indoor public pool for patients. Should I look for something else or possibly point to some references?
    Hi trainman
    My therapy team has been working on a plan to get me into the pool based on others with vents who have done it. Apparently it is not at all common but has been done before. I don't have a lot of time right now but when I can I will send you an email. I have been having trouble with my private messages disappearing before they get delievered or I would have sent this as a pm. I will ask my PT if he can give you some info.

I have been meaning to get in touch with you all week about some train sims anyway
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-16-2006 at 08:34 PM.

I'll look for them soon. I know Chris Reeve was doing pool therapy, so it's at least out there a little. At this point, I'd even be happy with an FES bike or standing frame.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.