Thread: Stool softener dosage?

Stool softener dosage?

I was originally taking peri-colace 100mg 3 times a day, but since they quit making it I've been taking the generic docusate sodium 100mg tablets 3 times a day. The directions say to take them all in one dose or spread out over the day. I take one in the morning, one midday, and one before bed.

I went to the drug store the to get a new bottle, but they didn't have the kind I'd been getting. Instead they had another brand that comes in 250mg tablets, and says to take one a day.

I've only got a few days of the 100mg tablets left, and if they don't get my regular kind in before I run out, I'll have to get the 250mg tablets. My question is, since it says to take one tablet a day, when is the best time to take it? I do my BP first thing in the morning.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Because of the way that stool softeners work, it is not necessary to take them at any specific time. They only keep excess water from being absorbed from the stool, and do not provide any stimulation of peristalsis. Of course you still need to drink sufficient fluids and eat high fiber foods to help keep your stool from being too hard.

You can take up to 4 of the 250 mg. daily either divided or together (for people with SCI). We don't even carry the 100 mg. where I work.

(KLD)

im new to SCI, only 5 months in and that the first thing i wanted to quit just incase of diariha,sp, i just drink normal and i have been going about an hour after dinner cause it seems to help push it down for me. i am going to start to try in the morning when i wake but if it doesnt work, ill keep evenings. i am going to try to go to mornings, if i cant ill do it in the evening til it starts to work. i just dont want to take anything if i can prevent it. i also got away from suppositories quick, cause that sucked. ive got it down pretty pat already but still tryin to improve. let me know if you have questions

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03