Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: people

people

I was at work yesterday talking with a girl I have recently become friends with. She was telling me about her nephew having an accident. He rolled his Bronco ejecting himself and his passenger. He was fine, his friend kept for observation but released later. I said he was lucky he wasn't killed. Her reply was it could have been worse than that he could have been paralyzed. I was shocked that she would think being paralyzed was worse than death. I said this and she said she would rather die than be in a wheelchair. What gives some people this perception? Do I look that pitiful? I don't think so. I am very active working laughing with her daily at lunch... Oh well just another venting day for me.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I've run into that a lot

I am on online dating sites a lot and have talked with some women who are widowed. A few have told me when I told them I was disabled and in a wheelchair that they could not go through anything like that again as their husbands became very ill before they died and they just dont want to deal with that kind of thing ever again and tell me they would never date anybody like me. I find it kind of amusing actually how stupid some people can be.

It's not you, it's her and what she thinks about her life...I hear people now and then say they rather be dead than "______" (fill in the blanks)...and it's over dumb things...I'm happy to be alive even through my body is aching and sometimes failing me and things aren't going the way I want them to be...hey I want to know how the "story of my life" ends...so I'm sticking it out through all the craziness... So enjoy life...

My right hand man God is what's keeping me going. Such a lame life I live and the slightest thing makes me so happy.

ive heard that a few times myself. or ppl say....i just don't think i'd wanna live if i had to be confined to a wheelchair.

if they only knew.....

i'm quite sure they'd be singin a different song if they had actually had a traumatic accident.

i never wanted to be in a chair, but before i was in one, i used to think, "i don't know if i could ever deal with that."

i thought life would be so hard. but it isn't.

i don't get why people think life would be over just because you can't walk. they don't think about the underlying factors like bowel and bladder when they make those statements. but honestly, you never know if you'd rather die until it happens to you.

i think her saying that to you way very rude and shows what she really thinks about you and your quality of life. hopefully you'll be able to show her that everything she thinks about being in a wheelchair is wrong.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

You know, in a way, all of us have had to choose if we want to live or die. Maybe not in the literal way that most people pose the question, but in a more spiritual way. We've all had to choose if we had the strength, creativity, stuborness, whatever to wake up each day and affirm that life is worth living. That we choose to be here conversing, rather than pack it up into self-pity, bitterness, despair and isolation speaks to our choice.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It happens to me all the time. I love it when someone comes up to me and tells me how bad their leg or back hurts. I just laugh at them. I also like the one where people think you are in a chair because you did something wrong. SCI suxs but they are not in you shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    You know, in a way, all of us have had to choose if we want to live or die. Maybe not in the literal way that most people pose the question, but in a more spiritual way. We've all had to choose if we had the strength, creativity, stuborness, whatever to wake up each day and affirm that life is worth living. That we choose to be here conversing, rather than pack it up into self-pity, bitterness, despair and isolation speaks to our choice.
    That is the truth.You should have an advice column.
    Be yourself!!!
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
    BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
    Sponsored Athlete
    http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
    www.genegvd.com

Ignorance is bliss.

Just have someone visit an alzheimer's wing or the brain injured section of an acute injury hospital to give them a real perspective of coping. Nothing, imo, worse.

We (sci) may not have everything working physically but at least, for most that are sober lol , we have our moments of lucidity and cognitive skills. Being physically able and not knowing your own name or anyone else's, to me, is a fate much worse than paralysis.