Thread: Pain below the hip anyone?

Pain below the hip anyone?

Lately, I've been getting this sharp stabbing pain right below my left hip. It used to happen every once in a while, but for the past few days, its getting worse. I don't get neuropathic pain very much, but this is like a stabbing, absolutely terrible pain. To the touch, it hurts like hell, but even when I don't touch it, its hurts. I've read some threads about people getting it on their right side. So whats on the left side, right below the hip, in the near the crotch area? Should I go get x-rays? What can it be? Tiff***

t12 para, complete.

Guess I'm the only one. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? It also seems like it gets a little swollen in that area too. Nurse? Help? Anyone? Tiff***

had

Could be a possible case of heterotrophic ossification (HO). Additional bone growth in that area MAY be occuring. If there is swelling there, you just may want to have an x-ray done to determine what may protruding where--if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by michtif
    Lately, I've been getting this sharp stabbing pain right below my left hip. It used to happen every once in a while, but for the past few days, its getting worse. I don't get neuropathic pain very much, but this is like a stabbing, absolutely terrible pain. To the touch, it hurts like hell, but even when I don't touch it, its hurts. I've read some threads about people getting it on their right side. So whats on the left side, right below the hip, in the near the crotch area? Should I go get x-rays? What can it be? Tiff***

t12 para, complete.
    Best to see your doctor Tiff.

Will be looking for an update.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Thanks for responding. Umm, I don't have any swelling. It is mainly just a horrific stabbing/burning pain(wow, this is the most amazing pain ever). I am thinking neuropathic pain. Lately, my lower back pain has been pretty bad also. I mean, worse then usual. I am gonna make an appointment for xrays, as well as a urology appt. I will definitely keep you posted, as soon as I find out anything. Thanks, Tiff***

My hip flexor does this, right side though. It's below where they harvested hipbone when i broke my neck. It comes and goes. Try stretching your hip real good in all directions. I'm always afraid it might be HO. Good luck.

Hi Tiff,

For 3 years I had a severe stabbing pain in my liver area (right side!) and around towards the back (just like kidney/bladder infection pain) and had a cadre of tests done for it. I'm a T-5 complete so the pain was well below the level of my spinal cord injury. As you may have already read it turned out to be neuropathic pain. I'm on 400mgs X 5 a day of gabapentin (Neurontin) and it works well. Takes most and usually all of the pain away. If I stop taking it the pain comes right back. Proof enough for me that I have neuropathic pain.

You must be an incomplete para since you can make the pain appear or make it worse by touching a particular area. I can't manipulate my pain like that. Pushing in on the area or bending or twisting has no effect whatsoever on my pain.

You may want to suggest to your doctor about trying gabapentin for a while and see what happens. I coulda swore that I had bladder/gall bladder or kidney stones or something "physical" since it feels like "real" pain.... like being stabbed by a knife. I was really surprised that it was neuropathic pain. Gabapentin is supposed to be easy on the liver so there's not much harm in trying it. It does make me tired if I'm in bed... like a sleeping pill. But if I'm up and busy doing something I don't notice the drowsiness at all. And the generic gabapentin is very cheap. It does have different side effects on some people. It made me agitated and stir-crazy so I now take diazepan (Valium) for that and the combination works well. But I usually only take the diazepam every once in a while now....after I got used to the gabapentin. I always have some diazepam left over at the end of the month.

Hope you're able to find the cause of your pain and get it fixed. Pain hurts!

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Hi Tiff,

For 3 years I had a severe stabbing pain in my liver area (right side!) and around towards the back (just like kidney/bladder infection pain) and had a cadre of tests done for it. I'm a T-5 complete so the pain was well below the level of my spinal cord injury. As you may have already read it turned out to be neuropathic pain. I'm on 400mgs X 5 a day of gabapentin (Neurontin) and it works well. Takes most and usually all of the pain away. If I stop taking it the pain comes right back. Proof enough for me that I have neuropathic pain.

You must be an incomplete para since you can make the pain appear or make it worse by touching a particular area. I can't manipulate my pain like that. Pushing in on the area or bending or twisting has no effect whatsoever on my pain.

You may want to suggest to your doctor about trying gabapentin for a while and see what happens. I coulda swore that I had bladder/gall bladder or kidney stones or something "physical" since it feels like "real" pain.... like being stabbed by a knife. I was really surprised that it was neuropathic pain. Gabapentin is supposed to be easy on the liver so there's not much harm in trying it. It does make me tired if I'm in bed... like a sleeping pill. But if I'm up and busy doing something I don't notice the drowsiness at all. And the generic gabapentin is very cheap. It does have different side effects on some people. It made me agitated and stir-crazy so I now take diazepan (Valium) for that and the combination works well. But I usually only take the diazepam every once in a while now....after I got used to the gabapentin. I always have some diazepam left over at the end of the month.

Hope you're able to find the cause of your pain and get it fixed. Pain hurts!

Bob.
    Sometimes it happens even when I don't touch it, it is always there, but very subtle. But always when I do. I just avoid touching it. Why do you think I may be incomplete? I wish, you have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by michtif
    Sometimes it happens even when I don't touch it, it is always there, but very subtle. But always when I do. I just avoid touching it. Why do you think I may be incomplete? I wish, you have no idea.
    Hi Tiff,

You wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiff
    To the touch, it hurts like hell, but even when I don't touch it, it hurts.
    I thought that anyone who had sensation or motor function below the level of their injury was considered an "incomplete". I could very well be wrong.

At first my pain was subtle too. Just an annoyance since it crept up on me so slowly. And because my neuropathic pain is in the same area where I "feel" pain when I get a bladder or kidney infection, I thought that the pain was from a bacterial colonization or the beginning of a UTI. Or bladder, kidney or gall bladder stones. When I would take Cipro for a UTI most of the pain would go away since in the beginning the neuropathic pain wasn't all that bad and just kind of mixed in with my kidney and/or bladder infection pains. I mean who really knows at what level a bacterial colonization turns into a full blown UTI? There are shades of grey in there. So it took me 3 long damn years to finally figure it out. I was looking upon Cipro as a pain medication!

But after changing my cathing technique (I became a germ nut!) last October, after 26 years of regularly getting UTIs I put an end to them. My urine is now always crystal clear and smells normal. Well actually it smells like coffee most of the time since I drink so much of it. Now I only get drunk once or twice a month instead of every other day so have exchanged one bad habit for another!

That's why I suggested you try gabapentin (Neurontin) as a first therapy since it's such a non-invasive way to test for neuropathic pain. And your doctor shouldn't give you any hassle writing a prescription for it. It doesn't get you high or anything. If the gabapentin takes the pain away then you know that you have neuropathic pain and that it isn't something else. If it doesn't help you then you've ruled that out... at least to some degree. This SCI stuff is so complicated and different in everyone that it's hard to figure out what's going on in your own body.

What I'm suggesting is, before you go through a bunch of other tests like I did, all of which came back negative, give the gabapentin a quick try. I had an IVP done to check out my bladder and kidneys, chest x-rays (like you I smoke.... I was a bit worried about those x-rays since my pain is in the liver area or lower right lung lobe area!) then had an abdominal sonogram followed by two spinal x-rays and a CT scan.

And all along it was this mysterious neuropathic pain that no one even knows what the hell it really is and they just "stumbled" upon gabapentin and other "anti-seizure" types of drugs that help block the pain in the brain receptors. I could take oxycodone or other opioids until I pass out and it does NOTHING for the pain.... it even makes it worse because it removes all the other small aches and pains and burnings leaving me to focus on just the stabbing pain in my right side or flank.

I'm going back to bed. I let the dog out back with a Milk-Bone for a bit, had a cup of coffee and flew a mission in my combat flight simulator. It's 3:30 AM and hopefully will get a couple hours of sleep before sunrise.

Good morning, Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by michtif View Post

t12 para, complete.

I joined just for this thread, I did a Google search looking for answers for my pain, and You described it to a T...
    Left side right at the groan area..
    Sometimes I would almost do ANYTHING to make it stop.

I was told one time or was a type of spasm, no movement but pain but of course can't remember what it was.