Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicodin & Bowels

Vicodin & Bowels

Is there anything that has the same effect as Vicodin on your bowels? I don't really have a reason to take it usually, but when I do take Vicodin for a few days my BP is so easy to deal with and it doesn't take long and it just makes life soooo much easier. That little bit of constipating effect works wonders for me for some reason; But I know I shouldn't take it unless I have a reason to... though i haven't followed that idea quite so well. I'd like to find something that has the same effect on my bowels without the harmful & addictive side effects.
    Any thoughts?
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

I have been taking one Vicodin a day ever sense I got out of Rehab almost four years ago, to help with the itching feeling I have around my elbows and relief a sever case of tired butt syndrom. I do not think that I would have a problem kicking them if I need to. Mine are the 5/500 so I do not know how much stronger you can get but I do not think I am hooked on them at all

How does vicodin help you bmonkey? Maybe it relaxes your muscles/sphincter, helping your bowels. But if it's the constipation effect that helps you, you might try immodium AD.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Nevada,
    Do some reading on long term tylenol use. 500 a day... yuchy.

Docs will tell you three grams a day, but if it is toxic shit...even a little all the time is not good.
    I would try to get the tylenol level (500) lower and see if it worked for you just as well. It did for me.

Calcium/Vitamin D supplements slow my gut, the "bonus" learned from having osteoporosis.......

I was just reading thru the immodium thread... 4 a day is the max? I don't think that'll have quite the same effect as vicodin. Immodium doesn't work that well on me anyway. I have a significantly shorter intestinal tract...maybe that affects the way it works on me.

thenose: You're Dr. lowered the level of tylenol in your vicodin to what doseage? Do you still take vicodin?
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

there is a med that they used to treat diarrhea in Mexico. its a weaker opiate and atropine i think? i found the Imodium causes me problems, if i could find this med again i would try it to slow down the bowels,
    i tried using imodium when i was using lyrica to slow down the bowels, i would use a enemmez in the am , empty and still had to find a bathroom 3 or 4 more times a day. it really put a crunch on my

Lomotil is the med, not sure if its ok for people with sci to use, its what i would try if i had problems with too much movement
    Last edited by metronycguy; 09-16-2006 at 11:45 PM.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey
    I was just reading thru the immodium thread... 4 a day is the max? I don't think that'll have quite the same effect as vicodin. Immodium doesn't work that well on me anyway. I have a significantly shorter intestinal tract...maybe that affects the way it works on me.

thenose: You're Dr. lowered the level of tylenol in your vicodin to what doseage? Do you still take vicodin?
    Try Ultram......it is still a pain med but not narcotic. It will have the same effect on your bowels. I take a 100mg Ultram ER which is extended Release. They make a regular ultram in 50mg and 100mg. No tylenol in Ultram either.

Good luck
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey

Not vicodin.
    Oxycodone is what I take and use OTC tylenol as I see fit.
    (As little as possible)

Just to firm up your bowels without using a narcotic, you could try colestipol. It's a medicine for high cholesterol that causes constipation. If you work at getting the right dose for you, it could improve your bowel program. We use it a lot in the center where I work.

RAB