Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting used to hand controls

getting used to hand controls

Mike has narrowed it doen to either the Colours controls or the Wheelability. Still debating I guess, but when he gets something, how long does it take to get used to driving with your hands? Does anyone know if both thoseprotable sets work the same?

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Mike has narrowed it doen to either the Colours controls or the Wheelability. Still debating I guess, but when he gets something, how long does it take to get used to driving with your hands? Does anyone know if both thoseprotable sets work the same?
    Hey CC,

Took me about 5 min. practiice w/ Wheelability to feel ready for traffic.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=wheelability

All the above was driving a Honda CRV.

This summer I drove a F350 Club Wagon Van 2500 miles with the wheelability controls, most of that in four days. I fashioned a turn signal extension out of a piece of welding rod for the return leg of the trip. Held the extension w/two small hose clamps.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Is there a reason why he's going with portable hand controls and not getting permanant ones installed? Personally I don't like the portable controls much vs my permanant ones. My hands fatigue a lot using them. I have the Sportaid portables for times when I rent cars or must use a vehicle that doesn't have hand controls installed, BUT I'd much rather have the permanant ones.

Voc Rehab usually will pay for them if he's started working with a VR person. I've also heard that SOME insurance's will pay for them, however I don't know which.

ETA:I didn't answer your actual question, sorry....It didn't take me long at all to get used to driving with the permanant controls. It only took me a few minutes to get used to the action, it took me longer to program my brain to not want to move my feet to the pedals. Re the portables....It took a lil longer to get used to them(and I had been driving with permanant controls for quite a while by that time) The portables I have hang from the steering-wheel by a web strap w/velcro. It tends to move around...
    Last edited by Broknwing; 09-13-2006 at 07:12 PM.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Took me about 5 min. practiice w/ Wheelability to feel ready for traffic.
    I agree to that (as for level), for your husband chopper I say Mike will take a drive around the block to get use to it. Good luck and just dooooooo it.
    Last edited by Leif; 09-13-2006 at 07:08 PM.

In NH we were required to take at least one driving lesson before we were able to have ours installed, the instructor after about 5 minutes couldn't believe I hadn't driven with them before. So about 5 minutes was all it took for me to get used to them.

Cool!! It is my b-day this weekend and he is ordering the wheelabilities for overnght delivery. He was under the impression that he could drive right away and I didn't want him to have his hopes up. Thanks you guys!!

The reason we don't go with permanent is because right now we have 4 cars. A truck, a commuter, the luxury and the classic convertible We are downsizing now (he sold one of 2 motorcycles recently) so we hope to get "his" vehicle in the next 6 months then we will go permanent. Eventually I am hoping we can get some type of SUV so we can all get in the car, and load it up with groceries etc. It is hard to do that now with 2 kids and a chair in the trunk

I HIGHLY recommend finding an empty parking lot to get used to the hand controls in...Even though I was used to the perm ones, the portables were a lot different & having an empty parking lot to do a couple rounds in was VERY helpful...

Happy B-day this weekend, I hope y'all are gonna do something special(maybe w/out the kids? )

Congrats on the overnite order for the hand controls I bet Mike will love having the independance of driving again...

The sheer quantity of vehicles right now explains the need for portables at this juncture....I understand the desire for an SUV b/c of the space, but may I suggest that y'all think of something along the lines of the Dodge Magnum? It has LOTS of space for everyone, chair & groceries, yet lower to ground for transfers...Just thinking of how tough transfers can be into a higher vehicle...One of my vehicles is a Dodge Dakota and before I was able to stand for transfers, they were hellacious...Just something to think about long term when y'all start car/suv shopping....what the transfers INTO it are like...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperChick
    Cool!! It is my b-day this weekend and he is ordering the wheelabilities for overnght delivery. He was under the impression that he could drive right away and I didn't want him to have his hopes up. Thanks you guys!!

The reason we don't go with permanent is because right now we have 4 cars. A truck, a commuter, the luxury and the classic convertible We are downsizing now (he sold one of 2 motorcycles recently) so we hope to get "his" vehicle in the next 6 months then we will go permanent. Eventually I am hoping we can get some type of SUV so we can all get in the car, and load it up with groceries etc. It is hard to do that now with 2 kids and a chair in the trunk
    Wow, I never thought of that.... trips would be Soooo much quieter with 'em in the trunk.

Do they get in there willingly or do you have to bribe/threaten them?

My brother took me out to a park where I drove for about 10 minutes - speed bumps, turning back and forth, and I felt pretty comfortable.

Both of my cars have cruise control controls on the steering wheel. Makes it easy to hit cruise, Check mirrors, turn signal, switch lanes in traffic. I found turn signals to be the most difficult thing to relearn while driving with hand controls.

-- JB
    Last edited by JustinB; 09-14-2006 at 01:30 AM.

I don't mind driving. Of ocurse he wants to drive but we want to be safe. This weekend we will probably just head about an hour away to vidit friends etc. Nothng spectacular but "GET ME OUT OF THIS HOUSE!". I do go to school and get out around here, but for the most part we have lots of people coming over here all the time and I want to get away from that for my b-day!!

He was injured in a car accident (he was passenger) so he is definitely more weary at least when I drive. I don't think he would get behind the wheel for any length of time unless he was comfortable.

Mike really likes the Dodge Magnums and I bet they are more affordable than an SUV. My next door neighbor just bought one so we shoujld get in it and check it out. Thanks for the idea Chelle!

i hadn't driven b4 my accident but i was used my vans hand controls within about a day... its just like a big videogame