Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder Colonization

Bladder Colonization

My bladder is colonized. I have tracked my urinary volumes for nearly a year logging everything from the color, odor, medications, foods, natural or over the counter items, and have established a clear pattern of events.

I can tell how active the colonization is by the color of the urine and how much and how frequently I leak.

A round of Cirpo will contain it right up until the last few pills then the active colonization comes back. Bactrum is no longer effective. I have taken Macrobid in the past and it worked well for several months, now it is no longer effective. I never take any 2 antibiotics at the same time and always complete the full round of a given prescription. All this is done under a Urologists care.

I have taken massive doses of Vitamin C (up to 8000 mg a day) combined with up to 4000 mg a day of Cranberry extract. This worked well for while but is no longer effective.

The last time I was at the Urologist and a culture was performed I was given Cipro.

I have come to the conclusion I may have to live with permanent colonization and constant leakage. I am 4.5 years post injury.

Any suggestions from long timers?

i have the same problem.i just finished the treatment 14 days ago.i have feaver and all the symptoms about an uti.is happend to me every month.i have at least 5 diff.germs in my bladder.i don`t know what to do anymore.the docs told me that i have chronics utis.i am sick and tired because of those utis.god helps us.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I hear you. I have been having quite a few UTI's as well and am trying to track down a reason. I now have my help clean out my bags with a lot more bleach and let them air dry which is a new thing. I used to fill my bed bed with a bleach solution with a funnel then clamp off the hose between the funnel and the bed bag and let it soak all day. Then at night my wife went over the end of the bag that connects to the catheter with alcohol. (I found recently the alcohol does not kill Pseudomonas.)

I've read on the forum someone said to drink at least 100 oz. of water a day. I drink at least that. When I talked to a nurse the other day, she recommended 2 L of water and not to drink too much because your sodium levels can go down. She said if your electrolytes go down too much seizures can result and it can be bad news. When I got home I figured out how many ounces were in 2 L and it's only around 68 ounces! So how much is too much I wonder?
    You Don’t Choose A Life, You Live One – “The Way”

the damned bugs are killing us one day if the scientiest will not find a cure.i am not afraid of dying anymore,BUT I WANT TO LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.is strange about colonization and utis.i was resistent to antibiotics several times in 4 years and a half.i am still alive.my immune system is still working with help.iv.vitamin c calcium,b vitamins and a lot of liquids.i drink beer as well.i empty my sick bladder.i am still alive .i don`t know for how long.
    good luck to you!!!!
    • Dum spiro, spero.

i hate antibiotics,but when i see after a culture that i am not resistent i am happy .is strange how germs switched and fight in the bladder to kill us.e-coli,pseudonomas aeruginosa,acineto bacter,baumani,cisibela oxytoca.my bladder is colonized by them.every month i have to fight those germs.i am alone, they are too many.i will never give up or surrender.i want to live and to walk again.maybe i ask too much beeing a quad?
    • Dum spiro, spero.

Everybody with spinal cord injury has colonization in their bladder. It is not possible to have sterile urine. Period. You should only take antibiotics when you feel poorly. Period. Not when your urine stinks or even looks cloudy.

Another option to consider would be to wear an indwelling catheter and drink enough water to have more than 3 liters out of urine a day. You might find you have fewer infections and less problems with colonization if you try that.

As to the leakage, there should be a way to help with that, either with medications or a change in how you manage your bladder.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Everybody with spinal cord injury has colonization in their bladder. It is not possible to have sterile urine. Period.
    RAB
    RAB-
    If this is true, why is it that I've had more than one urinalysis come back completely negative(some done by different facilities) when I thought that I was getting a UTI? I do intermittent cath, yet can tell when I need to go, so I'm not on a time schedule...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

A lot of people with SCI have sterile urine (not necessarily all the time but ...), where did you get that RAB?
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

My urologist has never mentioned conlonization and I havent had a UTI in five years......
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Everybody with spinal cord injury has colonization in their bladder. It is not possible to have sterile urine. Period. You should only take antibiotics when you feel poorly. Period. Not when your urine stinks or even looks cloudy.

Another option to consider would be to wear an indwelling catheter and drink enough water to have more than 3 liters out of urine a day. You might find you have fewer infections and less problems with colonization if you try that.

As to the leakage, there should be a way to help with that, either with medications or a change in how you manage your bladder.

RAB

How do you manage your bladder from leakage? The colonization is what causes the leakage. Indwelling? You have to be kidding, right?