Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Accessable Vacation Destinations Worldwide

Just started a new site about access on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. Have been here 6 years and want to share what I've discovered with my disabled friends. It is a work in progress. www.accessiblekauai.com We welcome any suggestions. The big thing we're working on is a map and specific details about all the accessible beaches around Kauai and spots to see.

Portugal - www.ouricodomar.com

We hope and believe Casa Ourico do Mar represents a hassle free holiday for the disabled wheelchair user.
    Last edited by cypresss; 06-29-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

Bali ( Indonesian island) - www.bidp-balidiving.com
    B I D P Offers diving to physically challenged qualified divers and diver training for the majority of individuals who have a physical Handicap. We also offer training to able-bodied qualified divers to become a dive buddy for divers who are physically challenged.
    Last edited by cypresss; 06-29-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

here's a website i found one day while surfing
    http://access-able.com/graphical_index.html
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I've been trying to tell my friend in Hawaii who's business is vacation rentals to build an accessible guest cottage in Oahu. Bruce can attest to the fact that there are many travelers in search of real accessible accommodation.

Throw in a Martin 16 and you have a vacation destination.

Barcelona

Barcelona is one of the most accessible cities in Europe now. For the Olympics and Paralympics in 2000 curb cuts were installed at EVERY crosswalk. Most buses have lifts, and the taxi drivers let me transfer into the front seat and break down my chair so that I didn't need to take special taxis that are more expensive.The tourist buses (Turistic) have lifts (although the open air top is not accessible unless you can climb stairs.) Even the major subway stops have elevators for access.

I made reservations through accessiblebarcelona.com and stayed at the Ayre Hotel Caspe, which is shown as BCN 002 on the site. This site is maintained by a Brit, Craig Grimes, a paraplegic, and his brother Andrew.
    Last edited by jbpara; 11-25-2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: missed some typos

Barcelona, part 2

The website accessiblebarcelona.com shows pictures of the Ayre Hotel Caspe, which is in a quiet residential area near all the major attractions. It had a roll-in shower, and the hotel staff were the most friendly and helpful people I met in BCN. I was able to roll to the Ramblas, the harbor, all the Gaudi houses. I would take the accessible bus on the Grand Via to Plata Catalunya and ride on the Turistic bus for longer rides around the city; the buses, which had lifts, would leave you off at any stop along the route and you could reboard as long as the ticket was good for, a one or two ticket for about 20 Euros. I stopped at the Miro museum, and got in for reduced price because disabled get into museums in Spain for free or a discount (wake up, America!)

I took the taxi to the train station, about 10 Euros, and bought a RT ticket on the bullet train to Madrid for a day. The train is totally accessible, although show up half an hour before departure so that they can set up the lift by the train door. Once inside, you can sit in your chair or transfer to one of two seats, with lots of leg room, unlike planes. The top speed on the monitor was 305 km/hr, or about 190 mph, yet if felt like the train wasn't moving. In 3 hours I was in Madrid, and spent the whole day at the El Prado, which doesn't charge if you are disabled. That museum and two others are within rolling distance of the Madrid train station.

Considering that Spain has no ADA, what a shock to find everything accessible, yet when I arrived home in Seattle, the shuttle bus from the airport was not. I had to crawl up the stairs into the bus. How humiliating. America should be ashamed.
    Last edited by jbpara; 11-25-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: more info

another website

The author of accessiblebarcelona.com is Craig Grimes, a paraplegic who also has a new site for traveling in the UK, as well as some other accessible destinations in other countries. It is CraigGrimes.com. Check it out. The current home page (as of last week of November 2009) has a you tube video link about wheeling around Barcelona.
    Last edited by jbpara; 11-25-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: more info

Vancouver Paralympics

For those who are considering Vancouver for the Paralympics check out my blog for travel on the seawall and throughout Stanley Park. www.wcsportscentre.blogspot.com

And if there's something you need checked out it's quite possible I could do it for you. I'll check back for messages, or leave a comment on the blogsite.

At the peril of being shot by the moderators ,I am posting a bit of info abour our little place in Chiang Mai wich is 100% accessible for everyone regardless of their mobility:
    - roll in showers ( large as well)
    -fully accessible pools
    -air conditioned
    -large rooms and private balconies
    -electric hoist and shower chair available on demand
    -some rooms have electric beds
    -fully serviced or not as desired by the person
    -gym
    -rails in the bathrooms and toilets

Ia a stylish place built for people with a mobility problem without being obvious and ugly.

Here are some pics: