Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Accessable Vacation Destinations Worldwide

Just wanted to bump this. Maybe there are some people who have more recommendations!

I threw the swap idea out there before but nothing came of it - South Texas 3bed 2 bath house - I'd love to swap

i love the swap idea. does anyone have any info on accessible places in amsterdam? im thinking of going there this august.
    J2

28/M/chicago/C5-c6 quad Comp.
    [url]
    www.J2RollsOn.com

Just back from Cozumel - got Scuba Certified

Thought I'd put in my two bits 'cause I'm exicted about my trip to Mexico.

Background: T12, travelling with 3 good friends.

Flew directly to Cozumel - piece of cake. No jetway at the airport, but the airport guys were very used to bumping the aisle chair down the stairway. Not my favorite way to go but it worked fine.

Cozumel was amazing. Stayed at Fiesta Americana which has accessible rooms and ramps everywhere (um... as long as you can do a 30 degree incline lol). Even a ramp to the pier and then a few stairs down into the ocean. I bumped down on my butt. Wore a full dive skin for protection and was very glad I had it.

I snorkeled and then took a SCUBA class right at the hotel and then went into the ocean. Great coral and fish 10 feet from the stairs!! Saw eels, 200 pound baracuda, and so many other things

Not all the restaurants bars and shops were accessible but enough were. I've been places (ahem NYC) where my friends spent the whole night carrying me up and down stairs (again, not my favorite way to travel, but better than missing out on a cool place). No need for that in Cozumel. And a big plus: every single street I saw had curb cuts.

We rented a Jeep, which made life easier, cooler, and cheaper than taking taxis everywhere. Avis had automatic transmission jeeps and I brought my portable hand controls.

All in all, highly recommended!

Got any pics?
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

www.independentliving.org has an accessible vacation home exchange program. I think it works worldwide. I came across that when I was searching something else and thought it might be of interest here. They also have a program to find assistants worldwide.

Just saw an ad in Paraplegia News for this place in Baja that would be especially attractive to those who want to do deep sea fishing in the Sea of Cortez. Check out the videos available on the site for more detail, and note that they will provide transportation from the Cabo San Lucas International Airport:

http://www.bajaenterprises.com/Access.html

They also offer special deals to disabled veterans and children.

(KLD)

I have been checking out rental homes on www.vrbo.com and am finding that alot of people consider "wheel chair accessible" to be a pull out couch on the first floor and a 1/2 bath. I want to rip each of them a new one. On the other hand, I have found some that are actually accessible (although this is for a manual chair). But if you keep looking, you are likely to find something.
    - Moody

And I know budget travel is an issue with accessibility, but family and luxury travel can also be quite an issue too.
    - Moody

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie_girl_ View Post
    Vancouver Canada is soooooooooo accessible and has beautiful summer
    Totally Agree! I went 4 years ago with my (then g/f ) wife. Monkeygirl, Kiran and others offered up some great advice for our visit and we had a blast. Beautiful! If you are in Vancouver, you HAVE to make the trip to Victoria. Butchart gardens is worth the trip to Victoria a;lone.