Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriplegics and cameras

Question Quadriplegics and cameras

Function as a C-5 quadriplegic. What kind of cameras do the quadriplegics use around here for taking pictures and how do you use the camera? How are you able push the button for taking pictures?

Need something that is not a hugely expensive and can be mounted to a tripod.

Heath

Hey Heath-
    I know I'm not a quad, but I wanted to let you know that there've been a few threads re:cameras, if you do a search(or even at the bottom of the page related threads may show up)...I know that one of the threads was started by Lizbv, but I can't remember the exact thread title. Good luck in your search for a camera. Just for reference, I have a Kodak P850 and it's a great camera, however, I wouldn't exactly consider it inexpensive...It was approx $400.00 from Costco.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Heath, i have a Kodak Easyshare and i screw in the tripod stand and i put a small piece of foam around it to thicken it up so that i can hold onto it.. i use my right thumb knuckle to press the button. under $200

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

well, i use a samsung digimax L60. i was $200 at target. i use the timer function to take my pics. all i do is engage the timer with my teeth, shove the cam in my better hand, then hold it out (and look in the screen to see the picture) and wait 15 seconds for the picture to go off. pretty sweet.
    May the fetus you save be gay

I have been looking at the Kodak and the Nikon cameras. Really not sure which one is the best as I have never used digital cameras. Probably going to be an after divorce celebration present for myself.

I use a Canonpowershot S1....I shortend the neckstrap so the camera sits mid chest and i rest it on the back of my left hand...then i can flip out and turn the view finder so i can see what aiming at and push the button with my right thumb

I use the timer feature also like theo,and the S1 has an image stabilizer feature so you can be shaky and still take a clear picture..

A camera with a remote would be best. Image stabilization would help alot. I have neither. I use the timer. It's OK. Tough to catch action or candid opportunities. I recently bought this tripod. It is awesome. Simple to level the camera on any surface. Plus you can wrap the legs around your hand, leg, armrest or pretty much anything. And the camera will be positionable and stays where you put it. Under $25 everywhere. Gorilla Pod.

I am looking at the Kodak P850.(thanks BROKNWING ). The surprising thing is it is actually cheaper through the Kodak store ($299.99) than most online stores. Really not sure where to purchase from.

Also waiting on some information from Nikon. Hopefully the decision will be made soon.

Heath

Quote Originally Posted by HeathQuad
    I am looking at the Kodak P850.(thanks BROKNWING ). The surprising thing is it is actually cheaper through the Kodak store ($299.99) than most online stores. Really not sure where to purchase from.

Also waiting on some information from Nikon. Hopefully the decision will be made soon.

Heath
    Glad I could be of help I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT....I take TONS of pictures....(matter of fact, any pic I've posted since Feb of this year has been on that camera)...The one recommendation I'll make if you choose that camera is to buy extra batteries...they last through about 175 pics w/the 3minute auto shut off set. That's not enough for me(especially if I go to a concert or race)...Kodak's website tends to have buy 1 get 1 1/2 price on the batteries...I also got a wall charger for my spare battery so that I don't have to only charge on the easy-share base...

I can't remember if the www.Costco.com website has the camera listed on it, but when I bought mine, it was cheaper in the store than it was on the Kodak website...It also came with a REALLY NICE camera case & some other accessories...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Hi
    i just got the CANON S3 and use it like SHAUN does easy to do, its a lil pricey but kicks butt.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml