Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys get your shoes on?

How do you guys get your shoes on?

I can get myself up in the morning but I haven't quite perfected getting my shoes on. Sometimes I can put my leg up over the corner of the bed so my foot is hanging off, but sometimes it doesn't work.

It might be because contact with the bottom of my foot causes spasms, but it's also because my legs are pretty long. I can't get my leg to stay up on my knee when I cross them either, it just slips off.

Any tricks anybody knows? Thanks.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

I was infamous in rehab for pulling them on with my teeth. How flexible are you?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I make sure the laces are loosened up then put the shoe on the floor and step into it, using a long shoehorn to keep the backs from scrunching down. Then I sit in a chair and prop my foot up on a footstool to tie them.

i put my shoe on the floor, lift my leg over an get my foot started in the shoe, push my butt forward in my chair a lil bit, then i push down on my knee an the spasms sorta help me push down an into the shoe. i unlock my wheel on the side i'm putting the shoe in an push myself around which helps some also.

sometimes i do rhino's routine also. ppl always tell me...."ewwwwwww, don't use your teeth". teeth an saliva are 2 valuable tools bein a quadriplegic, lol.

Could you lift your foot to a countertop or sink in the bathroom - then you have both hands to help put them on?

I do it on my back, pull a leg up and cross it over, with one arm wrapped around the leg my hands are free to put on and tie the shoe.

I've made putting on socks part of drying my toes, since I already have the leg crossed and my foot up where I can dry it, I go ahead and put my socks on, then shoes if I'm gonna wear shorts which I normally do. If I'm gonna wear jeans or long pants, also done while I'm on my back, I've found that having socks on makes it easier to pull on pants, then pull my feet back up for shoes..

Other people put it on for me and I make sure their hands are washed prior.

Quote Originally Posted by In the wind
    I do it on my back, pull a leg up and cross it over, with one arm wrapped around the leg my hands are free to put on and tie the shoe.
    I do it like above but sitting in my chair.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

exactly like in the wind

Quote Originally Posted by kkmay
    Other people put it on for me and I make sure their hands are washed prior.
    if they're just putting on shoes, why make sure they wash their hands? unless they were playing in poo...

well, i put my sneaks on with my legs at a figure 4. i put my ankle right above my knee and pop 'em on.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com