Thread: detox

detox

Has anyone ever detoxed from percocet and then had to deal with the neuropathic pain that was there afterwards. I am addicted, tolerant to percocet. I am suffering and so is my wife. Methadone did not work. Oxycontin no good because of empysema, ditto Morphine. Duralgesic patches no good. They took away the neuro pain alright but made my breathing difficult. Isnt there a facility that does detox and deals with the nuero pain afterwards? PLEASE. My wife and i are desperate for help. Anyone been through this. PM me if uncomfortable on the boards.

Thanks

Eagle, a lot of the time narcotics simply don't do anything at all for neuropathic pain, so if it did for you, you were fortunate there. At least you know one thing that can have an effect when you really need it. Of course, in the meantime you have another serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

More common drugs to use for neuro pain are anti-convulsives like Neurontin, and anti-depressants, like Elavil. These are often used together. You need to find a doc who's experienced in dealing with neuropathic pain, and if you doctor hasn't tried this sort of thing yet, then I'd say you need to find someone else.

Agree with David above, eagle18, you need to be maxed out on good neuropathic drugs like elavil and neurontin or lyrica or other agents that are out there before you take away the perc. Otherwise the fires will be raging. Plus dealing with detox would be heroic.
    You need a pain doc to help you . Do you have one?

i use oxycodone for nightly neuropathic pain, i have been for over a year every night, i sometimes need to use it during the day too.
    lyrica has too many side effects for it to be good for me.
    cauda equina

For anyone considering treatment and detox from opiates, you may wish to consider a program including buprenorphine or "bupe." From what I'm told, a detox including bupe prevents the dope sickness which accompanies opiate withdrawal. Bupe also provides pain control without the addictive properties of opiates.

No matter how much bupe is taken, it does not provide a high because it attaches differently to certain brain receptors. Pain relief? Yes. adiction and high? No.

Bupe detox/treatment is provided in centers which specialize in it. Most detox programs don't include it.

My doctor has mentioned bupe to me as a possible route for pain management if I get to the "I can't take the ef-ing pain anymore" place. He knows my history of addiction to prescription pain meds. So far, I'm managing with neurontin, the occasional baclofen.

Living in NY, you may have more options for a detox including bupe wit treatment with it for pain afterwards.

I wish you the best, Eagle. Let us know what you decide and how you're doing.

**Hugs** to you and your wife.

Eagle, this just occurred to me. Why are you able to take Percocet but not Oxycontin? They have the same narcotic ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    Eagle, this just occurred to me. Why are you able to take Percocet but not Oxycontin? They have the same narcotic ingredient.
    I couldn't make the switch to oxy as primary (20mgs 2xs) because of breathing problems at that dosage. Turns out that I recently found I have a touch of emphysema. At 10mgs it's okay but i think just interferes with the percs. Remember if you just take percs than they will be more effective, because you are always coming off them. But along with 10mgs of oxy in there the percs lose effectiveness. It's like drinking all the time vs. drinking some of the time. If you drink some of the time the stuff has more kick. May not make any sense, but i'm now off the oxy and feeling better. It is a lot tougher to get off oxy than one thinks. As a matter of fact the hospital that i go for pm is not giving them out anymore. There have been alot of lawsuits because the maker didn't say how addictive it is. I understand it works for some, but not me. And then again i may not know what i'm talking about, except for the lawsuits.
    Last edited by eagle18; 09-10-2006 at 10:44 PM.

I found it was the tylenol that was the magic mix.
    Fog aside, I needed a tiny amount of tylenol in there to make the opiate effective.
    Have you thought about a half a pill of tylenol mixed with the oxy?

No matter how you slice it, the right recipe of the two can be very effective.

Being right in the middle of an adjustment from the 300mg per day arena of oxy, I can tell you that I know your pain!

Besides frying your liver with the tylenol, why r u dumping the percs if they work? You said addicted. Does this mean that you are taking them even when not needed?

I guess what I am trying to understand is...if you are dumping the percs, just to use some other opiate...why bother?

I would jump on my head and spit nickels if there was ever a true med that dumped pain without the foggy-head-shit-anti-social side effects of opiates.

Yeah, but tylenol isn't a good thing to take in the long-term. How about Percoden instead, with ibuprofen instead of Tylenol?

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    Yeah, but tylenol isn't a good thing to take in the long-term. How about Percoden instead, with ibuprofen instead of Tylenol?
    It did not do the same thing for me.
    (I took it in its own pill, not pre-mixed at the pharmacy, so I dont know what it would be called if obtained pre-mixed)

I found that instead of the 325, I could get the generic 125 (if memory serves) acetominophen pills and cut them in half. It worked just as well as the 325's I was frying my liver with in the percs.

if you can get your daily intake of tylenol down to the 100-200 mg range, you are playing it pretty darn safe.

I would like to see a poll as to how much tylenol board members are consuming here.