Thread: Wheelchair Tires

Wheelchair Tires

I've been in college for the past 3 weeks and I've caught over 10 flats and I'm so fed up with it. What are some tires that are worth buying? My dad told me that some people make tires out of Kevlar? And what are the pros and cons of the hard tires(pyleurethane sp?) compared to the pneumatic tires(sp?). I've missed classes because of flats and shit and it puts me in a bad mood for a week at a time. So, I need a dealer that sells GOOD tires and would like to know the pros and cons of hard tires. Thanks guys.

what in the world are you running over?

have you put tuffy liners in your tires?

http://secure.srginc.biz/product.php...sa&prdID=41206

I use pneumatic tires with some sort of solid filler inside. They are guaranteed to never go flat or need air. Been wheeling around on these since April with no problem.

I'm sure that a plain pneumatic would give a more comfortable ride, but these work for me. I insisted that I did not want to feed my tires air, or get a flat. So far, so good. I have the grip of pneumatic tread with the security of a solid wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderDerek
    I've been in college for the past 3 weeks and I've caught over 10 flats and I'm so fed up with it. What are some tires that are worth buying? My dad told me that some people make tires out of Kevlar? And what are the pros and cons of the hard tires(pyleurethane sp?) compared to the pneumatic tires(sp?). I've missed classes because of flats and shit and it puts me in a bad mood for a week at a time. So, I need a dealer that sells GOOD tires and would like to know the pros and cons of hard tires. Thanks guys.
    Are your tires blowing or are they being punctured?

When I first got my Spinergy wheels the tubes would constantly blow. Turns out tape that lines inside of wheel had holes in it. Once I replaced this tape all has been fine since.
    Last edited by ResonantEcho; 09-09-2006 at 11:42 PM.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Derek,

Ive been thinking about you???? How is college going? I see your having a few bumpy weeks with the tires going flat.......I hope your classes and college life are treating you well. I dont have any tire expertise but I really miss you being on the boards......

Have a great time and I hope you get the tires worked out.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Hi WD, I bought heavy duty tubes and had the bike shop put slime in them. Never had a problem and this is goathead country! Pat

ps goatheads are knarly thorn/seeds that wreak havoc on bicyclists.

The tires are NOT made of Kevlar.... The wire bead is. This really sounds like a secondary issue, like you have what ever popped the first one still there. Carefully check the tire, and ensure there's nothing there, then replace the tube..... However, this only applies if it's the same one popping.

The thing is I live on North campus at my college and have to roll around at LEAST one mile every day. So my tires are constantly spinning and they wear down much quicker than normal because of all the 'travelling' that I do. I should be getting the hard tires in about a week or two so that'll be taken care of but I am getting 6 tires and 10 tubes Wednesday.

I used to have tires that actually had a kevlar belt in the tire. Never had a puncture with them. Now I run the flat free inserts. They increase the pushing resistence a bit but no flats.