Thread: Computer Question

Cool Computer Question

I have Windows XP Pro on my laptop which is a 40 gig, 512 RAM system and when I use my disc Defragmentor, it says I have 28 gigs of free space. I would like to know how I can check to find out what is taking up that space. I have 2.3 gigs on Peer2Peer files and use Opera browser. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
    Last edited by Jimi5; 09-09-2006 at 08:57 PM.

I'm no expert, but I would say that you could start by opening your C drive, then look at the properties of each folder to see which is taking up the most space, then open up those and, again, look at which folders are taking up the most space, and so on and so forth. Like I said, though, I'm no computer expert.

To find out, you hav to check the properties of every folder, like CrazySkiier says... Right click the folder, then click properties....... you'll have to do this to EVERY folder. The big killer is program files, temp files, ancd what not. Each Browser has its own set of internet temp files.....

Its a big long job.

du / | sort -n

On a unix/mac system, this will give you a list of the files from smallest to largest.

du -s / | sort -n will give you a list of subdirectories by size.

No equivalent for windows

-- JB

i saw something on download.com that tells EXACTLY whats takin up space on your pc. can't remember the name but just try a search there. i do no it's freeware.

Smile Visual drive space manager

Jimi5 -

Here is my favorite program for showing what is on a hard disk: WinDirStat.

It is free.

Steve

a Quicker way...

Go to programs -> Search -> All Files and Folders -> select the What size is it -> select Large (more than 1MB)-> Search.

This will list every file on your computer larger than 1MB.

Or instead of selecting Large (more than 1MB) select Specify size (in KB) -> Choose ‘at least’ and type in the size you want displayed 2 MB, 10 MB, 24.6 MB etc. the click search.

This will list every file on your computer larger than whatever size you typed in.

Make sure you don’t put in any other parameters like file name and be sure to search your local hard drive.

The only problem with your method Cris is if a folder has 300, <1Meg files in it, you won't see them, thus it won't get what he wants to do.

Try EasyCleaner, it is really useful for several things, such as Space usage, registry cleaner, clearing temp files and some more things that may help you.

I downloaded it for free a long time ago; I just looked at the website and it has an ominous message from the owner, so go to download.com and make your own mind up. (download.com has it highly rated)

Attached is a screenshot of the space usage part of the program and below is a link to the websites…both download.com and Toni Arts EasyCleaner.

http://www.download.com/ToniArts-Eas...ml?tag=lst-0-2

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/
    Dave H