Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: My Son Suffered A C-4/5 SCI Last Sunday....

Hope I didn't sound preachy, like some self-proclaimed toddler expert, I was just trying to remember. When I got hurt my son was 11 but still needed entertained when he visited me in rehab. When I was in a regular hospital room between ICU and rehab may have been the worst because of roommates. I remember Jake sitting on the top of my bed, one roommate had blindness due to HIV and diabetes and I could see her trying to figure out where he was at any given moment.

That's why I think the parents are more oblivious, (maybe just moms) because that annoyed my husband really badly but I was just so glad to be with my kid.

I hope you can find an easy solution to that part of the puzzle. It's just one more aggravation yall surely don't need right now...

You're probably right to withhold judgment on the movement since you sound unsure of your info source.

Is the mother of the 2 year old still the partner of your son?
    Last edited by betheny; 10-04-2006 at 11:55 AM.

I echo Betheny's statement. For me and my own grumpiness I find that as I have gotten older, it is hard for me to tolerate other's children. I have always loved children but when the parents are oblivious to those around them, it unnerves me. My daughter was six months when I had my accident so I spent lots of time entertaining her because that was about all I could do...LOL I dont think a hospital is the place for a toddler. My rehab hospital would not allow anyone under 18 unless you were a patient. That was 18 years ago in the stone ages and I had to go outside when I got to see my daughter for the first time and it had been three weeks. I think it was concern for other patients is why they had this rule.

You seem to be doing all you can do so just hang in there and celebrate the little victories. It is going to be a long road. (((hugs)))
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

My sister brings her kids (ages four, two, and nine months) to visit me fairly regularly in rehab. As much as I love them, the two oldest are very, um, “behaviorally challenged.” My sister, god bless her, really seems oblivious to how bad they can be during these visits. Which is ironic because she complained quite loudly about how terribly our other sister’s two kids behaved when they visited together. Thankfully my mom keeps them occupied with the help of a knapsack of toys and activities once they lose interest in me—which is usually within five minutes. Disney tapes also work wonders. I once suggested duct tape but my sister didn’t find that anywhere near as funny as me and my mom did lol. Despite that, I do enjoy having them around and I am glad that they are allowed to visit frequently. Little kids have a termendous capacity for raising one's spirits.

Sorry I didn't mean to highjack. I just thought maybe it might add something about dealing with visiting toddlers.
    Last edited by orangejello; 10-04-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Some of the prayers must be getting through.
    Thanks to all of you.
    They fitted Adam with a new trache and a 'talking' valve.
    He now can talk and finally communicate well.
    It takes some of the frustrations out of the picture.
    But someone has to put the cap on the valve to make it happen, and some of his nurses either forget or are too busy.(we've gotta get that straightened out)
    He's to get to try to use a motorized wheelchair (with a joystick) in a few days, too.
    Also the doc said if everythin goes OK, he might be able to have his trache removed, completely- in about 2 weeks. He's breathing much better.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

what wonderful news, Bob!

Tell Adam I said WAY TO GO!!!

Teena

Adam Update 10/10/06

Things are looking good for Adam at this stage.
    He's had 3 rehab sessions a day for the last 2 days and is doing arm curls with 5 lb weight wrist bands. He can move his legs (left has more movement) just a bit, like a 'Thighmaster' squeeze.
    He's at the point where he's gonna get his electric chair 'driver's license'-
    he negotiated 10 cones 2x (=20) in a game of wheelchair 'running catch'
    with 3 other patients and a coupla Rehab techs watching.
    He can catch the ball fine, he says - .
    ......but I can't throw worth shit". )
    That means he's out of the bed and actively doing something for a few hours a day, now.
    Last nite when I visited, he was fast asleep at 6:30 and his dinner tray was still waiting for him.
    (yup, he's on solid food now too - pureed, but solid)
    He woke when they 'turned him' about 25 mins later, but couldn't figure out
    why he felt so sore & tired.
    ( Duh ?!?! - 3 therapies & a ball game - I wonder why ! ;o) )

He can hug 2 y.o. Aiden when mommy plops him up in the bed next to his daddy.
    He only has trouble breathing, it seems, when he has an anxiety attack.
    He gets daily regular respiratory therapy & hasn't been on the 'vent' in a week,
    but still is on the 'trache collar' for moisture and minimum or no oxy needed.
    (I hope the trache will comer out asap)
    His breathing is much better, he's starting to become more active,
    and I think he's beginning to show some signs of what he can expect out of rehab therapy.
    Bob B
    SCI - Parent

This is such great news keep up the great work its great to hear about adams progress anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

Dear Bob,

I am a SISTER to a C4-5 spinal cord patient. Please watch your daughter carefully as she's going down the same road I went down 2 years ago with my younger brother. I was driving 2.5 hours from home after work everyday to get to see him the last visitation at ICU trauma. Then driving back home and to work the next day. Spent weekends from home in motels to be there every time the visitation doors opened. Watched the fear in his eyes as he struggled to breathe and shared jubilation when he managed to move a little bit more each day. My brother, Peety, had a stage 4 bed sore on his coccyx for months that left a scar that is sunk in almost an inch to this day. His social worker came in 3 weeks post injury and told him he'd better get a grip and face the reality that he'd never move again and figure out where he was going and what he was gonna do. I was appalled at her lack of tact. She was ready to throw him out of the trauma unit because she thought he didn't have insurance coverage. When she found out he had Medicare, all things changed. Sickening........You're on a road whereby you'll see many good things, but many bad things too, as far as the medical profession is concerned. Don't let their ineffeciency deter you from your course, my friend. Stay the course. Your son will probably face many days of depression and his family will be all he can depend on. Sounds like you've got some good support there, especially his older sister, who seems to have stepped up to the plate and taken charge of the situation at hand. I cried when I read your posts this morning on this website (which is a Godsend) as your case is so similar to my family's. My parents are both in their 70's and I'm 51 years old myself. My brother, Peety, is now 47 years old, a quad in a wheelchair, with people taking care of him many days that could care less. I'm there every minute I can be and my poor mother is too. The whole family will go through this with your son, believe me.

If there is one thing I'd like to tell you, it's this.......attitude is a main factor in recovery. I've seen it with my brother. Do not let your son give up or lose hope. Reassure him every chance you get (and I know you are). Dr. Wise Young's articles on this website have provided me with vast information that has helped my brother acquire such things as "supra pubic catheterization" (to help control UTI's) and "baclofen pump" (for muscle spasms) and various drugs that help the spinal cord patients to be more comfortable. I've seen these things work to the good for my brother. The more educated you can become on spinal cord injury, the more apt you'll be to help your son. The internet is great for locating just about anything associated with this subject. I've even ordered brand new wheelchairs off e-bay that the local mobility company would have charged me three time the price for. MObility is a major factor in independence. My brother perked up immediately when he got his hydraulic chair with the joystick. Don't be afraid to learn how to use lifts and empty catheter bags or to change his clothes, shave him, wash his hair, etc. My other siblings (4 of them) are all too afraid of my brother to try. HIs condition intimidates them. Don't let this happen to your family. Of course, you must use extreme caution when performing some tasks and you'll know when you're ready for them. I've had to do a lot of these things just from necessity. It HAD to be done, and I was the only one to do it at the time. The more you learn, the more you'll be able to help your daughter, and she's gonna need the help, I promise you.
    Last but not least, prayer is a much needed thing and help. I, along with my family, will be praying for your family as you go through this. You are not alone.
    Vickie

This is all such good news! It's a long long road-lifelong, in fact-but now you'll begin to see how we and our loved ones have travelled it. I'll never tell you it's easy, only that the human spirit is nearly endlessly adaptable and that even spinal cord injury is ultimately do-able.

Awesome about his legs. That is just a small hint of what we mean when we tell you that especially at first, the doctors aren't always 100% right. They aren't 100% wrong either, but there's a lot of middle ground between the worst (which is what they tell you to expect) and the best (as if the injury had never happened.) He's probably still in spinal shock. No doctors ever commit to the amount of spinal shock there is, or even if it really exists, but as the swelling goes down in the spinal cord many of us get some muscle return like that. Even if it turns out to not be functionally useful it can be used for exercise and to maintain circulation in his legs.

I'm stoked about the 5 pounds on his arms too. I remember 5 pounds being really heavy at that stage. Before long my roommate was telling me I was "ripped".

He's getting there. I am so grateful that you've kept us posted. The more active he is, the better for his lungs, the better his lungs are, the more active he can be. Tell him he has to eat supper though!

Thanks for the good news, you made my day in cloudy Oklahoma.

Hi Bob

Sounds like you are celebrated the much awaited small victories we have all been telling you about. I am glad he is feeling his soreness. That means there are some muscles working and trying to do their job. I was thankful for my families support much like you and your daughter are doing at the moment. Just keep encouraging your son and hang in there!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown