Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: My Son Suffered A C-4/5 SCI Last Sunday....

HMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sounds a bit like me, Soc. Worker was on Vacation, when I left, and I was picked up by my father, and your right about the door slaming, I was all but dumped in front of my house, and they all took off. Sad, but oh so true, it's a good thing he has wanted to fend for himself in the past. Now he'll need it. I know I had and did, try coming home ot a 2 story house on a hill. I refused to let my dad drive on the grass down to the house, instead I walked up a flight of stairs, and not to pat my self on the back, but I'm better on stairs than flat level ground. In my yard, there isn't any flat ground, now there's a deck, but it wasn't there when I came home. No one ever even called to see if I was still alive, but they sent the bills. I wish him all the best, and hope he can get the return that I have gotten. I can drive, cook, clean, and even shop, for myself now, but on the handicap curbs I get really iffy, I like to step over the sidewalk. Best of luck to him, PT is real important now, somehow I had to stop and start a bunch of times in the beginning. Don't get discouraged, if the same thing happens.

I have never thought about it, same story here though. We were never asked about home mods, certainly nobody ever came to physically check. I went home in my c-collar. I remember getting home, needing a particular suppository which (it turned out) pharmacies didn't carry. We had to rush back to the pharmacy at the rehab to buy some (before I exploded!), then learned to order them online. I actually called my peer counselor at home to problem-solve that one, that's how clueless we were! We had no contact number at TIRR for emergencies like that! We only made it home w/ caths because a rehab tech advised me to swipe plenty while my insurance was bein billed for them. You're right about the c-collar too, I saw the neurosurgeon a few weeks later to get cleared to get it off. He did nothing, just billed me once again.

My husband took me home in my Ford Taurus. I had in-home PT a few times, a nurse that did my bowel program for a few weeks, seems like my insurance company arranged all that.

My rehab was at TIRR in Houston, supposedly one of the good ones.

If they offer him a second admittance I'd recommend he accept it. This is where you return to rehab for a couple of weeks, a month or two after first returning home. It's a good chance for problem-solving, because by then you've figured out what some of the problems are. It's also a good chance to update PT programs after finally shedding the c-collar (or turtle shell for paras).

It really SUCKS to do, it's hard to go back to rehab once you've finally been freed. Nonetheless I'd recommend doing it.

My worst experience of being dumped off was during the first rehab stay. They took me to another (huge) hospital for a CAT scan. Dumped me off at the front door, told me to find radiology, I'm in a clunker w/chair that doesn't fit, no muscle, can hardly get anywhere. No caths, completely unprepared. Got to radiology, was handed sheaves of papers to fill out. I'm a quad LOL, I can't write! Yet I did. Taken to another room, told to climb on the table. Ummm, if I could climb, would I be here? It was surreal. Another quad was there, injured 6 months longer, he was experienced enough to make demands and get the help he needed. I just followed him. I know they saw quads from TIRR there every week, it was like some sadistic thrill for the radiology dept. to tell us to do things we clearly couldn't do. I was so panicked about my bladder. It was actually good training for the future, though, because you're right. When rehab ends, you're kicked to the curb and you'd better have some coping skills!

I wish him the best of luck. Rehab stays have been cut so drastically as insurance companies slash what they're willing to pay. Rehabs are so short-staffed, and they're germy as heck. He'll be lots safer at home, now that he's got the bare minimum of skills to deal with the situation. I hope he comes to Carecure someday. Please continue to keep us updated, and remember we're still here if we can ever help.
    Last edited by betheny; 12-12-2006 at 11:33 AM.

In Texas, years ago the rehab team used to do a home safety evaluation weeks before discharge, make recommendations for modifications etc.. then the government/ insurance etc.. said home health had to do it not inpatient rehab. ANd of course, they can't get paid until after the patient is in the home.
    If we discused the fneeds with the family, and they seem responsible then we have not much choice in believing them.The family & have responbility (and of course are usually quite wonderful) in this also.
    Also, there is a shortage of nurses and therapists thorughout the United States so unfortunately there is a limit to what can be provided.
    Be sure as much home health is set up as you can possibly get.

CWO

dumped off

Bethany,,

I kind of hoped I was the only one who got "dumped off ", now I don't feel special!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel
    Bethany,,

I kind of hoped I was the only one who got "dumped off ", now I don't feel special!!!!!!!!
    Overwhelming, ain't it? Was I ever glad to get back to rehab and get my bladder emptied that day! Nope, we're not special. Just "special needs".

I see a lot of similarity to your storys and mine. Here's an unsafe story to share 'round the campfire. I had no way to get into my house at all! I have a 3 story building, and I used to live on the 2nd floor before getting to the 1st floor a few weeks after going home (also unaccesable without an elevator lift that is now in the back yard). Anyway, the medicar van drove me home as I couldnt fit into any available car due to my TLSO, then they had to call an ambulance crew from that same company to help carry me up the stairs. If there was a fire or something, well, I guess I'd be toast. Speaking of medicars, you know those clowns charged some $400.00 for a 15 mile trip home? My insurance wouldnt cover non-ambulance service, but a call to the rehab place either paid that bill or shoved it under the rug. And dont ya love the equipment these rehab places recommend you get? I loved the bedside commode chair...now how do you use that if your bunghole wont open on its own? That went in the garbage. Ahh the memories, kind of wish I never had them.

Well, I guess we could sit around and throw moltav cocktails in the fire, that will get the marshmallows done in a hurry, if the Fire Department don't come, and bust up the party.