Thread: At what point should you get hemrhoids banded/lanced?

At what point should you get hemrhoids banded/lanced?

I have two hemrhoids that are each about the size of a pea. They sometimes blead during bowell care, but not always. They have been there for about 9 months or so. I was wondering if I should have them looked at, banded, or what? Any oppinions?

almost all folks with sci have hemhorroids. their presence is not the issue. when you have regular bleeding, AD during bowel care, pain/spasticity, other symptoms you need to take action

by all means get them checked out, you can help reduce their size by getting sclerosing injections, an easy remedy to keep them in check

Are these in-office or hospital procedures?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Both the "rubber banding" and sclerosing injections are usually done as an office procedure or (at most) day surgery. You can get AD, and this can last for more than 24 hours, so it is important to know how to manage this with medications during/after the procedure if it should occur.

(KLD)

SLBD, I had my roids banded about 2 yrs. ago. Time to do it again actually. The dr. banded them in 4 visits, 6 weeks in between each banding. I had a little bleeding during digital stimulation and was spastic and clammy. The banding procedure was nothing, just got a little clammy for a couple hours afterwards. You'll be glad you got them nipped off!

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

Both the "rubber banding" and sclerosing injections are usually done as an office procedure or (at most) day surgery. You can get AD, and this can last for more than 24 hours, so it is important to know how to manage this with medications during/after the procedure if it should occur.

(KLD)
    How should this AD be managed medically?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

If the AD is bad, we usually will keep someone in the hospital overnight for monitoring (this can be done in a "23 hour outpatient" stay). Medications used can be nifepidine (not chewed or crushed) 10 mg. every 4-6 hours, Minipress or Clonidine (the latter two are oral). If it is mild, we may send the person home with instructions to take these meds for the next 24 hours even in the absence of severe AD symptoms (routinely instead of as needed).

(KLD)