Thread: Trach Removal

Trach Removal

SCI-Nurse/Dr. Young -
    My Niece Samantha has been breathing without a vent for weeks now (13+ months post accident). We're at a point now were she needs only a cough assist to remove any phlegm build up. Occassionally she'll need to be suctioned after bathing but only to remove excess water caused by the trach. When is it safe to have the trach removed and what steps need to be taken before and afterwards?
    Thanks for your answer in advance.
    Steve

Without knowing details of her condition, my best advice would be to have this discussion with her SCI physician and/or pulmonologist.

AAD

If the trach is plugged all the time, and only unplugged for suctioning, I would consider asking about an Olympic Trach Button. We use these often in cases such as this for a transitional period, and then move on to getting rid of the trach completely. Unfortunately not all physicians (even pulmonologists) are familiar with them, but they can easily learn about them from the company:

http://www.olymed.com/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If the trach is plugged all the time, and only unplugged for suctioning, I would consider asking about an Olympic Trach Button. We use these often in cases such as this for a transitional period, and then move on to getting rid of the trach completely. Unfortunately not all physicians (even pulmonologists) are familiar with them, but they can easily learn about them from the company:

http://www.olymed.com/

(KLD)
    Thanks for the reply. We'll look into it.
    Steve