Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen and Microwave Myths

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I was wondering how long things will keep in the refrigerator in Hong Kong while I am off on trips into China. I don't want to get food poisoning.

Wise.
    Nor would we want you to; you're much too valuable to us and the image of you suffering stomach cramps brings sympathetic stirrings.

Does this mean butter is a condiment?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Been cooking and experimenting. It is fun being a hermit in Hong Kong. Actually, I go to a lot of meetings but have been "eating in". Since nobody else has to eat it but me, I can experiment with the food!

Wise.
    A food laboratory is the way to go. A time ago we was working and living close to this project and this co-worker of mine and his wife from time to time invited others over for dinners as we all did, but this colleague of mine was a really experimental chef you might say, he mixed anything and everything. Sometimes the food was not the best to put it that way but sometimes it was a great success. I guess the trick is to dare to experiment a little bit. And PS. Moose steaks can be in the freezer for over a year while you are on trips into China, but you have to take the Moose with you on the plane from the US I guess lol.

Been cooking and experimenting. It is fun being a hermit in Hong Kong. Actually, I go to a lot of meetings but have been "eating in". Since nobody else has to eat it but me, I can experiment with the food!

Wise.
    Keep us updated on your experimentations.
    And let us know when we need to warn Martin Yan and Susanna Foo there is a new chef on the block.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Dr. Wise cooks!!! oh my gawd.....and is concerned about what he prepares and concerned about these details, quality of food and the shelf life of condiments.........do you have an eligible older brother?

Q
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

bon appetite dr.wise and don`t worry the men are the best cooks in the world.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by queen
    Dr. Wise cooks!!! oh my gawd.....and is concerned about what he prepares and concerned about these details, quality of food and the shelf life of condiments.........do you have an eligible older brother?

Q
    I just want to surprise my wife when she comes to visit... Wise.

where do i begin....been cooking for many years, my mom before me. heh heh. gotta disagree with some of this, wise. but too tired now!

butter over 1.5 months old? i shoulda died 20 yrs ago. not to mention butter left on the counter...miracle whip, mayonnaise? oh my...i must be dead

but...grew up in farm country, not gourmet land! relax, wise!
    Last edited by cass; 09-16-2006 at 06:59 AM.

[QUOTE=Wise Young]I just want to surprise my wife when she comes to visit... Wise.[/QUOTE

That will be VERY romantic indeed. Especially if you both don't get food poisoning.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    where do i begin....been cooking for many years, my mom before me. heh heh. gotta disagree with some of this, wise. but too tired now!

butter over 1.5 months old? i shoulda died 20 yrs ago. not to mention butter left on the counter...miracle whip, mayonnaise? oh my...i must be dead

but...grew up in farm country, not gourmet land! relax, wise!
    Cass,

There is an old saying (I am not sure that it is Chinese or what)... the path to a woman's heart is through her stomach (Source). I think a more Jewish or Chinese version is that the path to a woman's heart through her man's stomach. It seems to me that many Jewish and Chinese women show their affection by feeding their men.

Yes, I too was surprised by the refridgerator shelf-life of the various condiments and butter (no, I don't consider butter a condiment). Many of us would be dead by now if the list were actually true. However, I have been on the road so much in the past three weeks (Shantou, Shanghai, Taiwan, Xi'an, and soon Beijing, and Tianjin) that I have to throw food out from the refridgerator between trips. Sigh.

Wise.

"the path to a man's heart is through the stomach" (i thought it was?)... women?, try something else.. lol
    Last edited by Leif; 09-16-2006 at 09:51 PM.