Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair food.

Fair food.

So I went to my very first fair today. Went to the North Carolina State Fair and I guess from all the stuff I read about fairs, I was expecting bizarrely ginormous vegetables and livestock. You know, like James and the Giant Peach or Wilbur from Charlotte's Web.

I didn't see that kind of stuff, but I did see booth after booth of fried foods. Fried twinkies, fried pickle spears, fried, cauliflower, fried onion, deep fried cheeseburger (yup, the whole cheeseburger is dipped in the hot oil), funnel cakes and I forgot what they are called but they look like funnel cakes but are a flat cake instead of being sort of stringy dough.

So I ask, why is it that only deep fried foods are served at the fair?
    Daniel

I went to a fair a couple weeks ago the had everything you said plus fried oreo cookies I don't eat fried foods but maybe with all the walking people do at fairs they burn off what they eat anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

I think part of the reason is that the space in concession trailers is so limited and fryers take up less space than grills and hold more food. Easier to cook, too.

Course, they would have to work on finding healthier alternatives if the people demanded it. That doesn't seem to be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    So I ask, why is it that only deep fried foods are served at the fair?
    Funnel cakes are delicious. Down here in the South, our fairs serve Jambalaya and Gumbo, along with American traditions like hot dogs and burgers. The fairs don't generally serve health foods, but then again, a fair is rather dirty place to be anyway. By dirty, I mean all the trash on ground, the fumes from the carnival rides, the pot-o-potties and the overall lack of hygiene.

I think a lot of people go to fairs specifically to eat the types of food you mentioned. It is sort of a "throw caution to the wind and eat whatever you want" type of day. Guilty......I have done it more than once. Later I wondered how I could eat such food, but at the time it was a lot of fun.

hope you had fun dan!

I can't imagine someone eating a deep fried burger, gah!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Fair food is a lot of fun -it's the only time I really pig out on fried stuff. The Tri-State Fair does have more than just fried food. Some of the other stuff includes the normal burgers, calf fries, steak on a stick and the tex-mex cafe. This year hubby and I shared some fried cheese on a stick, a corndog, texas twister potatoes with cheese (homemade chips) and a fried s'mores. It was great eating it, but I sure paid for it later.

Dan, no offence but how old are you? you must have lived a very shelterd life. I think I was like 7-8 years old for my first fair. but I was raised out side of Portland, Or. in the 70's and they had all sorts of different foods there, but I have noticed that it is mostly fried foods these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    and I forgot what they are called but they look like funnel cakes but are a flat cake instead of being sort of stringy dough.
    Elephant ears! I treat myself to an elephant ear every summer!! Yumm..
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

I could eat funnel cakes every day of my life if I liked cooking them.

Something I really wasn't sure about when I seen it was fried ice cream. I had it at the Renaissance Festival a while back and it was good!