Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backrests

Backrests

I have a Quickie Ti with a Levo backrest and a quickie revolution for which I bought a Jay contour back but decided to keep the original back on.

I now find that the revolution with the original back is much more comfortable for me than the Ti with the very expensive levo back. I have had the levo back for two and a half years or so and I am considering switching the levo for the original back.

My question is in reference to posture and long term use of the soft original backs. Are there any negative experiences in using the originals, or is there a proven benefit to using the expensive after market backs? Is there a proven benefit of say scoliosis risk reduction or the like? Or should I just go with what is more comfortable and ignore possible long term side effects?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

As long as your posture is good, I would go with the most comfortable one.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI
    As long as your posture is good, I would go with the most comfortable one.
    DITTO
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks. Do most people use after market or the original one??

I think for a para the rigid backs are retarded. You are moving around enough that sliding sideways isnt an issue. Soft backs also bow out between the posts creating the same effect as a hard back. Unless you like the extra weight and clunkyness, soft backs are the way to go I think.

good point. It is too bad many of us learn things after spending so much money in useless equipment experiments. I have a Levo, a Jay 2 and a Jay contour. They Jay 2 is collecting dust, soon the levo will be too. Over a grand in these f.....ing backs.

Been using originals for 23 years now.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

I disagree. When I used the sling back...by the end of the day I was in so much pain that I could barely move. Once I got my rigid back...I can sit in my chair for 14 hours + a day and not be in pain. Mine also does not add a ton of weight to the chair...which is another plus. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    Thanks. Do most people use after market or the original one??
    Paramoto-
    I've got a Roho Jetstream Pro on my chair right now...I LOVE it...it add no significant weight over the standard backrests and has DEFINATELY helped my posture over the past year. I'm getting ready to order a new chair and am torn over wether or not to order a new one(a sig narrower chair, so the old back won't fit it) or just go with the tension adjustable backrest that comes on it. I've been demo-ing the chair I'll be ordering with a tension adjustable and I've been having more back pain, but I don't know if it's due to the back rest or the chair being not set up quite right...I don't want to order a backrest I don't need, yet I also don't want to NOT order a backrest that I DO....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

i have tension adj. on my colours chair. it feels okay at first but after a few hours i'm hurtin like hell. actually my back hurts with any backrest but that tension adj. is worse.