Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conquering Anxiety

Conquering Anxiety

The Effexor I've been taking seems to have lost its effectiveness. I suffer from almost as much panic symptoms as I did without it, perhaps even more in some circumstances. Rather than up the dosage, I'm going to ween off and quit.

I was wondering what others have done besides Rx drugs to battle anxiety and panic attacks. Any good natural supplements help you? Any other suggestions?

edited
    Last edited by keps; 09-03-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Meditation.

Todd, I PM'ed you here...

Teena

I agree with meditation. Also counseling - a good therapist can really, really help. I had severe anxiety when my son was born; it came hand in hand with severe postpartum depression. My therapist was the key to anxiety quelling, not so much the meds.

I also highly recommend aromatherapy. Light a candle, incense, wax "tarts" (yankee candle has them for example) and breathe in the smell as you relax your body and visualize the anxiety draining away. Something about the smell, and choosing whatever relaxes you, really helped me.

Good luck Todd, I've BTDT. And it sucks.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    I also highly recommend aromatherapy. Light a candle, incense, wax "tarts" (yankee candle has them for example) and breathe in the smell as you relax your body and visualize the anxiety draining away. Something about the smell, and choosing whatever relaxes you, really helped me.

Good luck Todd, I've BTDT. And it sucks.
    I haven't made a study of aromatherapy but know it can work. Another source of useful aromas is herbal/flower essences, many of which have effects associated with them, i. e.

Basil (Sweet) Essential Oil: Warming and toning. Restoring peace of mind and counteracting depression. Clarifying, uplifting, energizing.

Rosemary Essential Oil:
    Refreshing, empowering, mind-clearing. Very popular in skin and hair care. Has been known to help enhance memory.

"The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Thank you all for the replies. No phobias here that I am aware of, just general anxiety.

Sorry to hear they are giving you some problems, Todd. A little suggestion on my behalf .. relaxation exercises and deep, deep breathing also.

Hope you feel better soon.

Raven

imho people should never take pharmaceutical psychotropics without getting counseling too (even tho they do, all the time). getting both increases the effectiveness of the drugs and reduces the need to keep upping the dosage.

there are a number of psychotherapeutic interventions to deal with anxiety - cognitive therapy, desensitization exercises, relaxation training etc. think about what approach you like and find a therapist who is skilled in that area.

the new agey things like aromatherapy are so far unproven but some people swear by them.

also: have you ever been evaluated for PTSD?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world...is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

I'm not sure I have PTSD. I took spasm medication for several years post-injury. After stopping the spasm medication, my panic symptoms started occurring. I think the spasm medication was keeping me calmer all those years.