Thread: take this neurogenic bowel and shove it!

take this neurogenic bowel and shove it!

I am sick and tired of my bowels not being finished when they appear to my caregiver to be done! I don't need or want surprises 6 to 12 hours later!

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Alan - Is this a new problem or has it been ongoing for sometime? Have you made any changes in your routine? I don't remember your level of injury, but two added thoughts come to mind....since I am sure that many of the tricks and techniques you are already using. Have you tried having your attendant provide firm abdominal massage in a clockwise motion from the lower right, across the top and down the left side? This motion can help move the stool through the colon to the rectum. Another possible solution would be to put a firm band around the abdomen before beginning your program.

Is the stool consistency solid but soft? Are you drinking plenty of fluids and including fiber in your diet? A good resource is the PVA booklet on Neurogenic bowel; it can be downloaded for $5 from the website http://www.pva.org/cgi-bin/pvastore/products.cgi?id=1 (about 50+ pages) or ordered from their publications department for about $10, 1-888-860-7244.

Studies done at the Seattle VA Med Center have found that "suppositories made with a new medium such as polyethelene glycol, produce a shorter bowel program than those made with the conventional vegetable oil". CRF

can medication cause it? not that you have any choice,
    i noticed when i cam eofff the neurontin my bowels were so much better, i have ces and the i had problems but not as serious as yours, i noticed when i was on the neurontin slowed down the movement of the stool through the bowels, i seemed to always have to go , and i did alwayas have to go , 7 times a day , i could not empty..
    i wasnt sure it was the neurontin or the cauda equina, in the beginning it was the CES definately, but as i started getting some bowekl function back, it plateuad for a long time time than i changed off neurontin and i could evacuate a lot better. just a possibly..

but than again you really have limited amount of meds you can somewhat tolerate

No, this isn't new, and I'm currently not on any meds save 1 mg. ativan at night to try and aid sleep. Things have been like this pretty much from the beginning 22.5 years ago, on meds or not (even constipating meds) - sometimes, the bowel appears to be empty, several stims don't bring down more stool, but, later in the day, thar some blows.

I've been wearing my corset while sitting for BP. I'm drinking well, and getting fiber.

Just one of the joys of SCI, along with pain and off-balance feeling. In my next life, I'm trying something different than SCI.

Alan

Alan, this is kind of drastic, but have you considered or discussed with your physician either an elective colostomy or an ACE (Malone) procedure? We used to avoid procedures like this like the plague in people with SCI, but in the past few years have seen some really good success, and many clients who wish they had done this earlier. When bowel care takes over your life, you need a drastic solution sometimes.

(KLD)

I must admit that such procedures haven't been discussed.

Alan

I started out using dolculax sup. and I alwayse pooped on myself after I got off the pot. I started using Magic bullits and I have done very well. I massage, bend forward and sit up straight some and have to sit alittle longer than I want to. You have to remember that we might think our bowels are through but they may not be. I also have to lift the back of my anus up to help some come out. I wonder where it all comes from and sometimes I get up and find out the hard way that I was not through either. I never had bowel movements like this before but I guess all things change with SCI.

Mary Sibley

I used to have an accident after nearly every BP.

Now I get biscodyl sups made in half doses (5 mg instead of 10), then I use only less than half of one of those every other day. I stay on the toilet for 1 hour then shower and go back to bed on a blue pad for about 2 hours just to be sure I'm done. Accidents are down to a few a year (average of less than 1 a month, but when they occur they tend to be two BP days in a row or some reason).

If your accidents are that foul mucous it is probably from too much biscodyl stimulation.

I am ab. I just wanted to point out that even being so, I never just go once myself. Even if I seem to be done at times, it isn't too long that I am back sitting there. I wonder from what my son has been through with figuring out this bc program, that sometimes, in however it may be with movement~ transferring, rolling the chair, bending, etc. it is enough to stimulate bowels perhaps without one knowing it and some people may have to sit again awhile after just to see? Also, when my son did dig. stim. as part of his program, if it was overly done, to check to make sure he was empty, it seemed that would be the day things happened later on. Too much stimulation or too much lubrication? I don't know, just trying to help.

Usually, the extra bursts are soft stuff, but not mucus.

Alan