Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination?

Discrimination?

well, i'm not one to cry "discrimination," but here's a little story...

i ran into a lady (not literally) in the parking lot of kinko's tuesday and she asked me if i was a teacher. i had been working as a substitute teacher over the previous school year, so i assumed she recognized me from a school i visited. well, she then proceeded to tell me a story. turns out i had met her at a middle school about half a mile from my apt. i had gone to a bunch of nearby schools dropping off business cards in hopes of getting more work, and she was working at the secretary's desk at this one. so, to get to the point, she told me that after i dropped my cards off with her and asked if she could distribute them to the math teachers the principal came to her and asked for the cards. she gave them to him thinking he was going to put them in the appropriate teachers' boxes, only to discover later that he had tossed them all in the trash. she told me that she felt it was discrimination and that she, having a disability herself, was very offended.

so what do you think about that? maybe he just didn't need any more subs soliciting work, though that decision should be in the hands of the teachers because they often like to have a sub with a math background to take their class. the whole thing happened nearly a year ago, but was just brought to my attention.

continuing...i was actually on my way to a job interview for a full-time teaching position and sort of took a shot to my confidence. i wonder how my disability is viewed by my interviewers. usually it goes unmentioned and seemingly unnoticed, but i suppose in the back of their heads it is a concern to some degree.

dropping cards off isn't an interview

People hand me cards at conferences. Do I have one of them? Nope. They wind up in the bottom of my briefcase.

sorry I may have dumped your cards them as well not because of your disability but because cards don't mean much
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I feel it is a barrier. I think it is easily overcome by the way you present yourself and your personality. People say it isn't a barrier but I can usually see surprise when I push in. I am going through this right now. I hope you get your job.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

That is true about the cards though. I probably wouldn't hire someone who left cards without speaking to me.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

What Joey meant by dropping off the business cards I think......his intentions were for these cards to be given to the math teachers at school so when they needed a substitute they could call him. He was not using the cards to apply for jobs. He has already obviously been approved by the school system to act as a substitute teacher when the need arises.

This is a terrible situation. I dont understand why the principal would do this. Do you think he did this because of your disability? You are certainly within your rights to ask. Did this principal know you? I think quality subs are hard to find or seem to be in our school system. I would certainly ask this principal why he did that.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

math teachers do not call for subs
    You are on a substitute list and are called as a teacher is out

at least that's how it works in my neck of the woods

anyway...if I read it wrong I apologize.
    Last edited by Liz321; 09-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Actually how sub arrangements are made vary. My sister and I both taught in the same state, but different districts. She was required to find her own sub from the approved sub list. I was not. The school would secure a sub from the list on my behalf.

He may not have intended to discriminate based on disability. It could have been your sex, race, etc. Or it may not have even been discrimination at all. He may have just, as you suggested, not wanted/needed anymore subs soliciting business. At any rate, it wasted your cards, so you gained one thing from this encounter. You know where NOT to leave cards now!

I'm left wondering though--why did the lady at the desk automatically assume the principal did that because you are disabled? Why would he allow her to work there as a disabled person, and not consider you as a sub, if that is the case? I think he just didn't need any more subs, or maybe this is a school where they don't allow teachers to find their own subs. Or maybe he is the only male working in the school and wants to keep it that way. It could be so many reasons. Don't let one person's assumption ruin your cool!

Hold your head high and take no prisoners! Best of luck on the job search! I hope you do well!

p.s. Furthermore, I think that lady should not have brought this to your attention since it happened nearly a year ago. What was gained by it other than making you feel bad? If she found it so offensive, she should have confronted the principal herself when she discovered your cards in the trash, or she should have retrieved the cards, returned them to you, and let you know so that you would not waste your cards/time on that particular school anymore. I think she was wrong to tell you a year later.
    Last edited by WM; 09-01-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

clarifications

the cards were to go to the math teachers so they could request me as a sub rather than end up with the computer based sub chosen by seniority. basically trying to get myself more work since new subs are called last unless specially requested by teachers.

the lady does not work at the school, she was volunteering (and her disability is not as "obvious")

finally, she probably jumped to conclusions about discrimination. i'm not really sure, nor am i sure why she told me, but whatever.

oh..and i'm going to an interview today and i chose to go in rather than a phone interview because i want the principal to know who he's dealing with.

ok..one more...i actually did end up subbing at that school twice by computer selection so i guess his efforts (if any) were thwarted. i dunno, just figured i'd tell you my little story.

Well good luck on your interview. (:

I second Addiesue....Good luck on your job hunt.

I know in our schools the teacher has to secure her own sub from a list that has been approved by the school board.

So many different ways to skin a cat.....who knows.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown