Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Stadiums: Please Read

Accessible Stadiums: Please Read

I have a question in regard to ADA law and sports stadiums.

Here are the facts:

1) My university's football stadium (Carter Finley at NCSU) is connected to the RBC Center (home of NCSU bball and the Carolina Hurricanes).

2) Since the RBC lot and the Carter-Finley lots are connected, both are utilized on football game days.

3) Currently, the University has assigned each and every "handicap/accessible" space to members of the Wolfpack Club (our booster club). Accessible spaces at the RBC/Carter-Finely are NOT AVAILABLE to the public/disabled students at this time.

4) Accessible parking spaces at the RBC/Carter-Finley were assigned to Wolfpack Club members based on their RANK within the organization. RANK is determined in large part due to how much money individuals have donated to the University/athletic department. This information was taken directly from an email written to me by the Assistant AD at NCSU.

4) Those in need of accessible parking must obtain permit to park in a private school's parking lot (away from the stadium and ride a shuttle to Carter-Finley).

5) The ADA states:

Accessible Parking Spaces

"When parking spaces are provided, accessible parking spaces for cars and
    accessible parking spaces for vans are required. Accessible parking spaces must be the closest parking spaces to the accessible entrances and must be on an accessible route to the entrances."

(Full text can be found here: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/stadium.txt)

Is it legal for the University to essentially allow individuals to "buy accessibility" by assigning it based on rank in the Wolfpack Club?

Is it legal to have a state-supported University's facility with all accessible spaces pre-assigned for the season (allowing none for the public on game day)?

Finally, I understand why the University may need to allow for "overflow accessible parking" from the private school lot (with shuttle). However, this should not be the University's primary means of dealing with the disabled public.

Am I out of line here? I want to pursue this further but I want to be sure that I'm not overreacting.

What do you all think?
    "Your love is just the antidote when nothing else will cure me" ~Sarah McLachlan

It would seem that you have a very legitimate argument, both "morally" and legally. I would assume that "regular" parking is available in the close lot for non-members, correct? If so, that adds to your argument.

I hope I am understanding this incorrectly. Are you saying that handicapped parking is being reserved for the high rollers? That would be so very wrong!

At Virginia Tech the already marked handicapped spots right outside of the stadium are for paying hokie club memebrs, but they still have to have tags or placard to park there. We park several lots away were we pay $5 dollars (like everyone else that parks on campus) to park in a lot that you again have to tags or placard and ride a shuttle to the sadium. We ride the shuttle to the stadium and choose to "walk" back after the game. We could ride the shuttle back but because of the traffic we get back to the lot faster than the shuttle.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

If the highrollers dont have handicapped placards......I believe I would call the police and hang out until they have written the tickets.

I would persue it.......sounds like an ADA violation to me. Definately sounds like discrimination. Arent they supposed to have a certain percentage of Hcap slots based on the total amount of parking spots available.

If you have your handicapped placard, you already have your "permit to park".

Ive never heard of anything like this.......

Since we are talking about stadiums. Have you ever been to Clemson University? I went to a concert there and was refused the right to use the elevator by none other than "Brooks and Dunns" road manager. I was also told that if I went down to my seats on the arena floor, I was violating the fire code. The arena floor was not accessible to those with handicaps and off limits to "us" in accordance with the campus fire code. There are no rails or anything on the steps going down to the arena floor.

I went anyway and told them to call the police. Of course they didnt. I didnt persue it because my daughter wanted to go to school there at the time.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

This sounds like a violation of the ADA, both Title III , Public Accomodations and Title II , State and Local government.

The folks at DBTAC are usually good at answering questions and suggesting remedies. I would give them a call.

ADA technical assistance :
    http://www.adainfo.org/
    Last edited by ChesBay; 08-31-2006 at 12:07 AM.

It goes way beyond that. If you check out the "accessible seating" you will notice not everyone in a chair, what pulmonary problems? nuh uh. At the Link,
    people who have issuses get put in accessible seating. Only one or two are disabled, it's a scam. Can't even get season tickets if you're disabled. I would love to know how many actually are.

Joe
    And the truth shall set you free.

hold on a minute. are you all saying those in need of a dis spot cannot pay for the extra perk of having one reserved, like everybody else? with that, i disagree. in fact, this is a common occurrence at employers (minus paying, of course).

now, i do not believe the ADA addresses this issue. but i do think i have the right to the option to reserve a parking space (for money) just like anybody else. however, if those reserved dis spots are counted in the ADA required percentage of dis/AB (which i'm sure they are--i recently ran into a valet parking issue where i couldn't park my van in the valet dis spot, but they could ) then we see a hole in the ADA.
    Last edited by cass; 08-31-2006 at 12:44 AM.

On #4, do the big donors have to be h/c? If no, give 'em hell. We go to the RBC center 44 times a year minimum (can you guess why?!) and ALWAYS get great parking right up front, no problems and we do NOT pay extra for it. In fact, we get upgraded - we pakr in the premium lots (closer to building) but pay regular parking rates.

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    I have a question in regard to ADA law and sports stadiums.

Here are the facts:

1) My university's football stadium (Carter Finley at NCSU) is connected to the RBC Center (home of NCSU bball and the Carolina Hurricanes).

2) Since the RBC lot and the Carter-Finley lots are connected, both are utilized on football game days.

3) Currently, the University has assigned each and every "handicap/accessible" space to members of the Wolfpack Club (our booster club). Accessible spaces at the RBC/Carter-Finely are NOT AVAILABLE to the public/disabled students at this time.

4) Accessible parking spaces at the RBC/Carter-Finley were assigned to Wolfpack Club members based on their RANK within the organization. RANK is determined in large part due to how much money individuals have donated to the University/athletic department. This information was taken directly from an email written to me by the Assistant AD at NCSU.

4) Those in need of accessible parking must obtain permit to park in a private school's parking lot (away from the stadium and ride a shuttle to Carter-Finley).

5) The ADA states:

Accessible Parking Spaces

"When parking spaces are provided, accessible parking spaces for cars and
    accessible parking spaces for vans are required. Accessible parking spaces must be the closest parking spaces to the accessible entrances and must be on an accessible route to the entrances."

(Full text can be found here: http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/stadium.txt)

Is it legal for the University to essentially allow individuals to "buy accessibility" by assigning it based on rank in the Wolfpack Club?

Is it legal to have a state-supported University's facility with all accessible spaces pre-assigned for the season (allowing none for the public on game day)?

Finally, I understand why the University may need to allow for "overflow accessible parking" from the private school lot (with shuttle). However, this should not be the University's primary means of dealing with the disabled public.

Am I out of line here? I want to pursue this further but I want to be sure that I'm not overreacting.

What do you all think?
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    Since we are talking about stadiums. Have you ever been to Clemson University? I went to a concert there and was refused the right to use the elevator by none other than "Brooks and Dunns" road manager. I was also told that if I went down to my seats on the arena floor, I was violating the fire code. The arena floor was not accessible to those with handicaps and off limits to "us" in accordance with the campus fire code. There are no rails or anything on the steps going down to the arena floor. I went anyway and told them to call the police. Of course they didnt. I didnt persue it because my daughter wanted to go to school there at the time.
    Daisy,

The exact same thing happened to me in the early 1990s at the University of Missouri basketball arena, except that I was a journalist covering a game. Press row was on the arena floor, accessible either by elevator or a long ramp (for TV trucks only). I was told it was a fire code violation to have wheelchairs on that level. I fought back after I got home and the story was picked up nationwide. They changed their policy soon thereafter.