Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to tell how much recovery

Question Is there any way to tell how much recovery

Will you get from these intensive therapy places? It seems to be all over the board.Most of the success cases have some leg movement before they started the program.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-28-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    Will you get from these intensive therapy places? It seems to be all over the board.Most of the success cases have some leg movement before they started the program.
    Norm, I think it really depends on how "incomplete" you are, though some have limited successes with "complete" injuries.
    Daniel

Yea I guess you just have to try it. Its a crap shoot.

Hi Norm,

Since you're 24 years post injury I think any return that you were to get, you'd already have. These places can strengthen your existing neuro-intact muscles with exercise and maybe help you with your balance etc. But after 24 years, your lifestyle has already been concretely established and what you've been doing all this time will be pretty hard if not impossible to change. At least without a LOT of constant retraining (years) and a new type of lifestyle.

You could have some muscles that you don't use or that you under-use (everyone does, even the AB'd) that could be enhanced but what would be their purpose?

I could be wrong.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Well I just got some return in my thumb back in Nov.

I agree with Bob, the longer your post the harder it will be to reconnect those signals but its not impossible. Alot of members posted like yourself Norm who have gotten return years after their injury. If anything you will get a sense of reassurance you tried everyhting you can to get better.

Keeping in good physical health is very important wether your going to walk or not. So if a cure does come around you will be ready for it but I know you know this already.

Goodluck!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

My legs, especially my right, just started sweating after 26 years. I hate it... they stick to the fitted sheets and pull them off my bed when I pull myself up. I get into bed from the bottom and scoot up.

With my legs starting to sweat and the return you got in your thumb after 24-26 years and without a cure we should both be walking by the year 2156!

Out of curiosity, why after 24 years do you want to go through an extensive and even grueling physical training rehab center? Are you trying to become more independent?

I remember that you had plans on moving up to PA so perhaps you'd need some extra strength and need to learn some other capabilities in order to be more or totally on your own???

Give those places a call on the phone and see what they have to offer you. And see if you'd be a good candidate for what you're looking for. And ask them if your insurance will cover it or at least part of it. Go fer it.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I'm sick of being a quad that's why. I'm depressed all the time sitting doing nothing! I want to give it one last try. I'll be happy if I'm nurse free & able to take care of myself. I'm not asking for the ability to climb a tree. I'll be happy if I can stand & pivot & not have to use a transfer board. I always felt like I had more in my legs that I just never got a chance to work on them with the old style therapy programs. I need someone to push me to the limit. If I get to PW or Neuro Institute & I see results I'm relocating there. I can't move back to PA & sit there another 24 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I'm sick of being a quad that's why. I'm depressed all the time sitting doing nothing! I want to give it one last try. I'll be happy if I'm nurse free & able to take care of myself. I'm not asking for the ability to climb a tree. I'll be happy if I can stand & pivot & not have to use a transfer board. I always felt like I had more in my legs that I just never got a chance to work on them with the old style therapy programs. I need someone to push me to the limit. If I get to PW or Neuro Institute & I see results I'm relocating there. I can't move back to PA & sit there another 24 years.
    I'm sick of it all too and I'm a T-5 para. My fuckin' life sucks, I'm depressed and bored to death. One of these days... and hopefully soon. I first need to find a good home for my fat greyhound.

I'll trade with you in a flash! I could live a grand old happy life as a para.