Thread: Stage 1 pressure ulcer treatment

Stage 1 pressure ulcer treatment

I did a quick search, but didn't see much info about how urgent it was to see a doctor for a stage 1 pressure ulcer.

I seem to have developed one on my ankle, caused by my AFO. I have scheduled an appointment about a week away to get them adjusted, and plan to minimize my use of them in the intervening period.

My question is: How urgent is this? Should I be freaking out, talking to anyone available at my General Practitioner's office? Scheduling a regular appointment with him? Just keep an eye on it after getting my AFO adjusted?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

-- JB

Stage I is just redness that doesn't blanch, so just remove as much pressure as possible, and you should be fine.

Hey Justin
    I have had many sores related to AFO's. Since it is early, I would get an appt to have orthotics adjust that brace. Then I would just take care of the sore. As long as the pressure is completely off of it you should be fine. Mine have most always heeled as long as I take the pressure off of it. Your General MD is not going to know what to do with a pressure sore. Mine gave me an ointment and was not knowledgeable re SCI pressure sores.

I would also use some mole skin on the brace until I could see the orthotist. I have used several different things. I have gel inserts that I use now but I have them specially ordered.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

If you minimize the time you wear your brace you should be fine. Anything you can use to cushion in between the brace and your ankle will help.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Thanks all - I ran my finger along the "padding", and it turns out there is a sharp spot - I'll just leave it off until I can get it adjusted.

Glad to hear I don't have to freak out.... I hate it when I do that.

-- JB

By definition, a Stage I pressure ulcer is a reddened or pink area (or bluish purple or "shiny" on very dark skin) that does not blanch, and does not fade in 20-30 minutes. It may take 2-3 weeks to fade completely.

There is nothing you can put on this topically (dressing, ointment, etc. ) that will help. The only treatment is to keep all pressure completely off the area until it is completely faded, and then gradually start applying pressure again in small increments.

While you have the pressure off, you should get your brace re-evaluated and perhaps re-made. You may have gained/lost weight, had muscle atrophy, etc. that has made it so that it no longer fits properly.

(KLD)