Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plus Sizes

Plus Sizes

Around the mall, I have noticed more and more plus-size clothing stores cropping up. Is this a reflection of an increase in fat acceptance? Or, is it a reflection of a growing unhealthy national diet?
    Last edited by roshni; 08-28-2006 at 03:29 PM.

...We're now part of the super size me generation where people are filing lawsuits against McDonalds for making them fat...of course instead of eating healthy, some are just buying bigger clothes to fit...also some people are accepting their bodies as they are..."Big is Beautiful"...I was a plus size at one time but I chose to lose the weight to be healthy and happy...

Taking Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn
    ...We're now part of the super size me generation where people are filing lawsuits against McDonalds for making them fat...
    That's akin to taxing fatty foods!

Quote Originally Posted by harley-lynn
    ...We're now part of the super size me generation where people are filing lawsuits against McDonalds for making them fat...of course instead of eating healthy, some are just buying bigger clothes to fit...also some people are accepting their bodies as they are..."Big is Beautiful"...I was a plus size at one time but I chose to lose the weight to be healthy and happy...
    Good for you Harley....It is so hard to do. I am working at it now. I dont want to accept that this is how it has to be because it isnt. I am miserable with the added weight I have put on in the few years.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yha.... Its sort of an oxymoron.... People have started loving themselves as they are, and not what a magazine says...... But this is also leading to acceptance to unhealthy living.

MacDonalds isn't to blame....People can just PUT DOWN THE FORK. Limiting the amount it's consumed is the key, and thats not MacD's problems.

I was listening to a commercial today for Laparoscopic surgery to help loose weight and there was one girl on there saying she tried diets and she didn't have time to work out with her busy schedual so the weight would just keep coming back thats why she got the surgery. You know one of those testimony type things. I'm glad if I ever get lazy there is a surgery for that.
    use to be that if you were fat it was a sign of wealth cus you could afford to eat. Funny how it has twisted.

Some people were born to be bigger and they are just battling genetics trying to fit into a mold society says you need to fit into. Some are fat because of poor eating an lack of exercise. Are there really more fat people out there than there use to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rty
    I was listening to a commercial today for Laparoscopic surgery to help loose weight and there was one girl on there saying she tried diets and she didn't have time to work out with her busy schedual so the weight would just keep coming back thats why she got the surgery. You know one of those testimony type things. I'm glad if I ever get lazy there is a surgery for that.
    use to be that if you were fat it was a sign of wealth cus you could afford to eat. Funny how it has twisted.

Some people were born to be bigger and they are just battling genetics trying to fit into a mold society says you need to fit into. Some are fat because of poor eating an lack of exercise. Are there really more fat people out there than there use to be?

Too right.

I am a bit overweight, but I don't think it's enough to compromise my health.
    I am several pounds heavier than I should be because I eat too much. I don't have problems to cause this.

Some people have mental health issues which cause them to overeat.
    Some people have mental health issues which cause them to eat too little.

Interesting that anoxerics avoid being called names and generally being treated like shit, because it is more socially acceptable to be too thin, rather than overweight.

Of course there are obese people who have nothing but greed to blame, but I hate fat-bashing, as you cannot know everyone's story.

Let me tell you something.
    I think there are a lot more men who like full figures than we are generally led to believe!
    Kate Winslet in Titanic, Emme - just to name a few - me likey!

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    MacDonalds isn't to blame....People can just PUT DOWN THE FORK. Limiting the amount it's consumed is the key, and thats not MacD's problems.
    The thing is, at McDonald's or any other restaurant, they have standard portion sizes that their nutritional info is based on, but can you get the standard size? Or if I want to control my portions and order a small fry, 9 times out of 10, they will "do me a favor" and ring it up a medium fry because at a penny more, it's a "better value" and they are convinced I don't know what I really want. Around here, the pies are $.90 for one or 2 for $1. Even when I say "NO, I just want one!" they charge me for one and give me two. I know, I know, I really just shouldn't go there at all. It's just that my car turns into their drivethru . . .

Well, I think we have a combination of a greater acceptance of the obese and a growing need for them to cover thier nakedness.