Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mum back from rehab can't talk or open eyes

just got back from my mother's. She is still the same. I talked to one doctor who treated her earlier at the Peradeniya Hospital. he told me that she must be admitted to the hospital , I asked him whetehr he can come home to see my mum ( he is known to us personally coz we are from the same village and my mum has taught him when she was a teacher ) but this time he told that he is very busy he said that if it is difficult to admit her to the government hospital if we can to admit her to the private nursing home. At this moment we cannot spend for the nursing home as it is very costly. Then I called another doctor who helped us in Colombo, He said he will come to look at my mum if he is near since he is far away he advised me to take some tests for my mother, he also adviced me alot about feeding mu mum and asked me to call his phone anytime, he was very helpful. to get the tests done we have to bring a nurse to take the blood samples. then incase we have to spend for giving saline as well. So now I called the private hospital to inquire about the prices for these facilities. they said that they will call me after one hour.
    I tried to feed my mum , but she couldn't open her mouth, she was holding her chest and moaning. my father is giving somrthing for her to drink always but i am losing hope. My sis who is in that house is telling me that it is better if she passes away so then her suffering will end. Oh, I am confused and sad. why is this happening to her. When I took salmaan ( my 6 months old son ) near her she tried to talk to him but she couldn't then I told her to be with the kids she has to eat and become strong.

I hope she will be alright. one more thing, sometimes I think ( last 2days ) after seeing her suffer so much, it is better if she passes away. She is suffering as never before.
    I was advised by a doctor to check the following, full blood count, random blood sugar, blood uria and Serum Electrolite at the lab. Now I will have to bring a nurse to take the samples as we cannot move her. Yo see we have moved her alot in the past and we gained nothing but giving her pains and bad bed sores, so my father was telling lets kkep her in the hou se nad treat her, but e are unable to spend for the doctor visits privately as it is very expensive.

Those are good tests, but she needs fluids and nutrition. She needs a nasal-gastric feeding tube placed, and she needs to get food and water through it, as well as any needed medications. Don't give up on your mother. It is likely that she has something that is treatable.

She should probably be in an acute care hospital, not a nursing home.

(KLD)

Riyasa,

I am so sorry about your mum, especially as we encouraged you about the rehab. It sounds like bringing your baby to visit her encourages her. I do hope she will start improving soon.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Riyasa,
    What would you have to do for her to be admitted to the hospital? The nurse has good advice, she needs a tube to get nutrition into her. If she is not eating or drinking well, she will get weaker. With some nutrition, she can gain strength and possibly recover. I wish your family the best!

Quote Originally Posted by riyasa
    just got back from my mother's. She is still the same. I talked to one doctor who treated her earlier at the Peradeniya Hospital. he told me that she must be admitted to the hospital , I asked him whetehr he can come home to see my mum ( he is known to us personally coz we are from the same village and my mum has taught him when she was a teacher ) but this time he told that he is very busy he said that if it is difficult to admit her to the government hospital if we can to admit her to the private nursing home. At this moment we cannot spend for the nursing home as it is very costly. Then I called another doctor who helped us in Colombo, He said he will come to look at my mum if he is near since he is far away he advised me to take some tests for my mother, he also adviced me alot about feeding mu mum and asked me to call his phone anytime, he was very helpful. to get the tests done we have to bring a nurse to take the blood samples. then incase we have to spend for giving saline as well. So now I called the private hospital to inquire about the prices for these facilities. they said that they will call me after one hour.
    I tried to feed my mum , but she couldn't open her mouth, she was holding her chest and moaning. my father is giving somrthing for her to drink always but i am losing hope. My sis who is in that house is telling me that it is better if she passes away so then her suffering will end. Oh, I am confused and sad. why is this happening to her. When I took salmaan ( my 6 months old son ) near her she tried to talk to him but she couldn't then I told her to be with the kids she has to eat and become strong.

I hope she will be alright. one more thing, sometimes I think ( last 2days ) after seeing her suffer so much, it is better if she passes away. She is suffering as never before.
    I was advised by a doctor to check the following, full blood count, random blood sugar, blood uria and Serum Electrolite at the lab. Now I will have to bring a nurse to take the samples as we cannot move her. Yo see we have moved her alot in the past and we gained nothing but giving her pains and bad bed sores, so my father was telling lets kkep her in the hou se nad treat her, but e are unable to spend for the doctor visits privately as it is very expensive.
    riyasa,

This sounds like a separate problem from her spinal cord injury. It may be due to a systemic infection from her pressure sore, a urinary tract infection, a blood sugar, or other problems. She may have had a long term chronic infection as well from some source. It is very important that she is admitted to the hospital and this medical problem is taken care of. Many people and doctors attribute everything to spinal cord injury. The question that you and your family should ask is whether or not you would treat this differently if she did not have spinal cord injury.

Wise.

You stated in another post that your mother has diabetes. Rush her right now to a good hospital and have her sugars checked, as well as other labs. She might die if you don´t.

Oh no. I'm sorry. I think you should do as Dr. Young said.

Thank you very much for all your messages. I just came from my sister's the situation is the same. however we are giving her saline as well as trying our best to give watery food through the mouth. In Sri Lanka I don't know exactly what is the best watery food supplement, I am giving Saustagen milk powder, soup. If you have any advice on what I can give for quick recovery. She still cannot open her mouth. Today I talked to a doctor but they are asking too much money to come home. So instead I asked a nurse to come and she gave the saline, changed her catheter, and dressed her wound. But If only I know what to do about her mouth problem. She says that she cannot open her mouth. it is very painful it seems. The whole day she was moaning but now ( i just calle dmy sister ) she is sleeping it seems. I hope she will be Ok.

It sounds like she is a little more responsive. If she can safely swallow, then you should use the Sustagen and milk powder. She needs protein. Can you also add a liquid multivitamin? If you have access to a motorized drink blender, you can add fruits and vegetables as well as well cooked meats to liquid, blend this until smooth, and use this (it may not taste very good though). It would be better to get an NG tube into her so you could give this to her even if she cannot swallow. Is she taking any medication at all? How is the saline being administered (IV, through the skin, through a tube into her stomach)???

Has your mother had a tetanus shot? Although rare, it is possible to get tetanus through a pressure ulcer (or any other open wound) if there is exposure to soil or other contaminated materials. This should definately be ruled out as the cause of her being unable to open her jaw, and a physician would need to see her. Can you take her to a clinic to be examined by a physician?

The other thing to rule out would be a tooth abscess or trauma to her her jaw such as being punched when she was in rehab. Is there any indication that she was physically abused there or assaulted by another patient?

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-30-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Again, this woman has diabetes, as per Riyasa´s previous post. Is anybody listening??? She might have a severe electrolyte and sugar imbalance, among all of the other things suggested.