Thread: mum back from rehab can't talk or open eyes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riyasa
    Hello Everybody thank you very much for all your kind advises. Today My mum is better than yesterday. She can open her eyes and mouth. But she says that her mouth is very painful. She could not remember anything which happened yesterday. I did some tests from her blood the resulths are as follows,

haemoglobin - 8.9 g/dl
    w.b.c. - 16.9 x 10000000000 / l
    neutrophils - 93%
    lymphocytes - 07%

ELECTROLYTES

SODIUM - 140
    POTTASIUM - 4.2

P/S URIA - 3.0

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE ABOVE RESULTS MEAN PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS.

RIYASA
    Riyasa, are you sure that the WBC (white blood count) is correct, with the correct number of zeroes and that the units are per l (the small letter of L)? Normal white blood count is 4,500 to 10,000 per microliter (also sometimes signified by µl or mcl). Since one liter has one million microliters, 16.9 x 10,000,000,000 / l = 16.9 x 10,000 / µl = 169,000/ µl. This would mean that she has a very significantly increased white blood count. She should also have a fever.

The fact that she has an infection is supported by the higher percentage of neutrophils. Normally, 55-70% of white blood count should be neutrophil. A 93% neutrophil count is abnormal and is strongly suggestive a bacterial infection. The percentage of lymphocytes is normally between 15-40% but, given the increase in 15-fold or greater increase in total white blood count, there is an absolute increase in lymphocyte count as well.

Normal hemoglobin (haemoglobin is the British spelling) varies depending on whether age and sex but it should be greater than 12 for adult women. Therefore, your mother has anemia (low blood) as well. This is not surprising if she has not been eating well and has a chronic bacterial infection.

Her sodium and potassium levels are normal. I am uncertain what the values of P/S URIA should be. In the United States, kidney function is usually in dicated by BUN or blood urea nitrogen. Normal BUN levels should be between 8-20 milligram per deciliter (8-20 mg/dl). Sometimes, urea levels are indicated by a ratio of urinary/plasma (U/P) urea levels. Normally, U/P should be in 4.8 or greater. Lower values are indicative of renal failure or dehydration. Are you sure that it says P/S and not U/P?

You did not provide the glucose levels. If you have glucose test results, it should be less than 140 mg/deciliter (140 mg/dl or 7.8 millimole/liter or mmol/L). If she has eaten within 2 hours, it may be as high as 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L). If it is a fasting glucose level, i.e. a glucose that is obtained after not having had any food or liquids other than water for 8 hours, it should be less than 110 mg/deciliter (6.1 mmol/L). In 1997, the American Diabetes Association defined the diagnosis of diabetes as having a fasting glucose level of 126-140 mg/dl. If she has diabetes, she may well have fasting glucose levels as high as 140 mg/dl. If she is getting insulin or other treatments, her blood glucose should not be greater than 140 mg/dl.

So, just on the basis of the test results that you have provided, it is likely that your mother has an ongoing systemic infection. You should find out her body temperature. If it is above 37˚C or 98˚F, this would explain her altered mental status. The source of the infection should be identified and she should be treated with antibiotics. You had mentioned the fact that she has an infected pressure sore. This may be a source. Another likely possibility is that she has a urinary tract infection. I don't know what a P/S Uria value of 3.0 means but if it is anything related to Plasma/Urine ration, it suggests that she is dehydrated or has reduced kidney function. She is very anemic as well. These must be treated.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-01-2006 at 11:04 PM.