Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effexor reducing neuropathic pain

Effexor reducing neuropathic pain

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my experience with Effexor and how the drug reduced (and nearly eliminated) the neuropathic pain I have.

I am a 26 year old male, 2 years post injury. My accident caused a L2 burst fracture and subsequent paralysis in both legs. I had been for a year fighting the neuropathic pain with various drugs: baclofen, lyrica, mobic, amitrypiline. The pain I witnessed begins as a tingling, and then slowly grows to a *severe* stabbing or burning sensation. Nothing short of the sensation of being pricked with a needle in order to give blood.

Seeing as how I was thoroughly exhaused from the pain, I would frequently just drink myself to the point that the pain somewhat subsided. I began drinking beer/wine, but that wasn't enough. I progressed to something called Everclear (190 proof) but after several weeks I no longer wanted to be simply drunk, laying around the house.

I started researching online and came across a ClinicalTrials notification of Effexor being used to treat neuropathic pain in chronic SCI patients. I talked to my doctor and he prescribed 75mg/day dosage. The first two days after I began taking Effexor I felt extremely drugged. I.e., shakey hands, poor balance, fuzzy thinking, feeling disconnected, ... But shortly after the second day the effects decreased and now are non-existant.

Best part is that the neuropathic pain is practically gone. I have maybe a few times during the day that a quick, shooting pain goes through my legs. But now the pain ceases and does not come back for many hours.

Since starting Effexor I've dropped all the drugs I was taking except Lyrica; I currently take 150mg 4/day. I hope that my experience helps someone out there who is having horrific neuropathic pain like I was. I wish you the very best.
    Last edited by cvelusc; 08-26-2006 at 01:40 PM.

that a high dose of lyrica i forget if i was on 150 or 300 a day your on 600
    cauda equina

Cool

As you know neuropathic meds work for some and do nothing for others. Effexor, elavil, neuronton and lyrica have done nothing for me. But I hope it works for you.

John
    C-7 post 14 years
    Here are 2 of my posts from the pain forum

Liquid Neurontin on the horizon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had my 3rd baclofen pump installed by the man who pioneered this process in the 80's ,Dr. Richard Penn at the Univ. Of Chicago. The procedure was a breeze and we got to talking about neuropathic pain. I told him about the failure of elavil, and neurontin for me. He said his next goal is to get neurontin in a suitable liquid form to be used in the Medtronic pump. I did not have time to ask him why neurontin would work any better than oral neuronton, but I have a follow up visit 8/18/06 and hopefully I can post that info. I am very optimistic, I trust this man with my life. As we all know the burning pain of sci is sometimes brutal To find something to take the edge off this pain would be AWESOME!!!

John
    C-7 incomplete quad post 14 years

znop
    View Public Profile
    Find More Posts by znop
    Add znop to Your Buddy List

08-21-2006, 11:35 PM #2
    znop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I posted before I had my 3rd pump put in 8/3/06. It is a wonderfull technology that will and is changing the way medications are delivered with better results and less side effects.

Dr. Richard Penn of Univ. Of Chicago(type his name in any search engine) is working with Medtronics to develop neurontin in liquid form to deal with neuropathic pain due to SCI. As I mentioned in my previous post , no medication has worked for me in my 14 years of sci for neuro pain. According to Dr. Penn., Neurontin in the pump would work more effciently than oral meds. He is a dedicated Dr. striving to ease human suffering, and as I said, I trust everything he says. He has given me hope and maybe others to ease the suffering caused by neuropathic pain and give us a better quality of life.

Any questions about the medtronics pump just type in medtronics in any seach engine or e-mail me at
    Ponz59@yahoo.com

John
    Chicago
    Last edited by znop; 08-26-2006 at 12:09 PM.

I feel kind of drugged at the moment. Only my first day of Effexor plus Lyrica, so we'll see if this improves in a few days.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    I feel kind of drugged at the moment. Only my first day of Effexor plus Lyrica, so we'll see if this improves in a few days.
    I definitely had a few days of feeling drugged when I started Effexor. Shouldn't require more than a week to return to normality.

I already wrote about the very bad side effects that I received from Zoloft. Like to have driven me crazy. On the 8th day (when the dose is raised from 25mgs to 50mgs) I totally and instantly stopped taking it. No withdrawal symptoms or anything but I started feeling much better the very next day. It's a "hit and miss" deal with anti-depressants.

Then a friend of mine had a full script of Effexor with 2 refills. He gets all his meds for free via the kindness of others i.e. Medicaid. These were the purple capsule one-a-day slow release versions. Every night at 3:00AM severe diarrhea. Now that can cause depression! So after 3 days and lots of sleepless (due to laundry detail and showering etc.) nights waking up next to the warmth of......well, you know..... I stopped Effexor too.

I believe it was because they were the slow release versions but I can't say for sure.

The next time I see a doctor I might inquire about Lexapro.

The only other drugs I'm on is 400mgs of gabapentin (Neurontin) 5 times a day for pain and it works great and 5mgs of diazepam (Valium) 4 times a day for.... just because it relaxes me a bit.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    The only other drugs I'm on is 400mgs of gabapentin (Neurontin) 5 times a day for pain and it works great and 5mgs of diazepam (Valium) 4 times a day for.... just because it relaxes me a bit.
    I just started taking Neurontin on the advice of a very kind Anaesthesiologist that I have been seeing. I decided to add Neurontin to my regiment because I was still witnessing frequent nerve despite an increase in Effexor. After taking the Neurontin for a few days, I have noticed a decrease in the pain. Now I have already taken Lyrica in the past (with little effect), so I was pleasantly surprised the Neurontin was actually helpful.

Hi,

Nice to meet you all!

I have just started taking neurontin along with tramadol and diclofenac, I started at 1 100mg a day and have slowly increased it each day with the view of taking 18 a day, the first two days the pain was alot better more bearable, but on the third day it came back with a vengeance and is not looking at going away, What else have you all tried and does any of them work, I'd just like to be pain free for a bit.

thank you :O) Meshell

Quote Originally Posted by cvelusc
    I definitely had a few days of feeling drugged when I started Effexor. Shouldn't require more than a week to return to normality.
    Thanks. Changing my normality is the reason I'm taking the stuff. If normality didn't suck, we wouldn't be taking all this crap to try to reduce all these pains.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by meshell
    Hi,

Nice to meet you all!

I have just started taking neurontin along with tramadol and diclofenac, I started at 1 100mg a day and have slowly increased it each day with the view of taking 18 a day, the first two days the pain was alot better more bearable, but on the third day it came back with a vengeance and is not looking at going away, What else have you all tried and does any of them work, I'd just like to be pain free for a bit.

thank you :O) Meshell
    Welcome. It's a real challenge to find the right drug and/or combination to have an effect on neuropathic pain. There's quite a bit of good support an suggestions around here, so hang around and maybe it'll do you some good.