Thread: cervical traction

cervical traction

I am a para but been having neck pain that goes down my shoulder all the way to my hand on my left side. I had an MRI of my cervical (without contrast) and thoracic spine (with/without contrast) last week and went for the results today it appears I have a pinched nerve at two cervical vertrabrae. The neurosurgeon told me which two but so much was being said at the time I thought I would ask him before I left which two but then I forgot. He is sending me to a neck and back pain management clinic and physical therapy and wants me to try traction also. Has anyone tried traction for this sort of thing?

Also started having pain two and half years ago in the thoracic area I had never seen an MRI or xray of my thoracic spine where I broke three veterbrae but the Doctor wanted me to see my spine. Its been thirty-seven years since I injured my spine but I felt like crying when I saw the MRI and how messed up my thoracic spine was. The doctor said he is surprised I haven't had severe pain before now but there was nothing he could do for me in that area but hoped pain management would be helpful in finding something to help with that pain. He mentioned several types of injections they may consider but said he would leave that up to them.

I don't know why seeing my thoracic spine upset me so much its not like it just happened. I have never felt extreme anger at the man that was driving the car when we had our wreck but looking at the MRI I felt real anger. He was driving too fast when I asked him to slow down he just went faster and lost control of the car. Guess I never felt much anger towards him because he died but today I really felt anger towards him.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Never tried traction for mine Aliya, we assume my back injuries were from long ago car crashes. The lumbar damage was found first and the cervical damage was'nt found until three years ago, almost too late.

I have heard that sometimes it does some good and can keep you from having the surgery.

The doctor has arranged pt with the traction and they are suppose to show me how to use it at home also. Have an appointment with a neck and pain management center for the 17th of this month to see if injections might help with the thoracic pain and the pinch nerve in the cervical area. I don't want to have surgery but think the doctor believes the pt and traction might help, I hope so.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Hi, I have what sounds like a very similar problem, I have been diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, something to do with compressing the brachial plexus nerve. I am having physiotherapy for this, and he has been working a lot on the c6,7 t1 area. Like you this is only affecting my left side, however I am very left handed and am getting increasing pain when transferring, pushing chair etc, even writing a lot causes pain!

I find physiotherapy of little benefit but I am very interested to hear how you get on with the cervical traction.

Well I have my first appointment this coming tuesday for the traction and will be doing traction at home also will let you know how well it works for me. I will look at my paper work tomorrow and see what my diagnosis was called.