Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things keep falling out of my lap.....

Things keep falling out of my lap.....

Hello All,

Maybe my body is changing, but when I sit in my chair my knees are farther apart then they were years ago. This causes everything I put in my lap to fall straight to the floor.......water bottle, car-keys, wallet, etc. For a C6 quad this gets old by midmorning.

Does anybody have any seating techniques, cushion ideas or anything else that would keep my knees together ? I have a couple of long legged friends that have this problem and they bungee cord their knees together and it is a "terrible look" and I refuse to go out in public or show up for meetings looking like that. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ronnie

Leg strap at the knees (either above or below). They come padded as well if you prefer. www.sportaid.com

I had to start using one this year as well after 21yrs, especially with this chair. The depth was not ordered right, which doesn't help with the knee spread problem!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

what kind of chair do you have? this will give someone a better idea of what is possible..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Hi 2jazzyjeff,

I have a light weight rigid Eagle chair........15"W and 17"depth. No seat
    tapering, clothes guard protectors, 26" Spinergy wheels, generic foam
    cushion, 5" inch castors and tubular footrests.

Ronnie

When I need to carry things on my lap, I use a lapboard. They're soft on the bottom and hard plastic or wood on the top. Some have a clip to hold papers in place. You can probably find them with the school supplies at some store like K-Mart or Staples.

Just a good lap board round the house,stuff things in my back pack while out and about and the wee red baskets in the grocery stores..I think you'll find a lap board quite handy...

I've used a wedge shaped pillow between the knees since very early in my injury. I've had to deal with knees migrating in, not out.

That said, you should think on what you need. Are you always needing lap space for stuff? If so, adapt a simple clipboard to sit on your lap. Slap some grip tape or velcro on the bottom to limit slippage (especially if you spasm a lot). I usually roll all around work with a clipboard on my lap. They also have those 'fat' clipboards that are about an inch thick that give you a little storage and a flat surface to work with.

In my previous manual chair, I actually had a clear plexiglass table I could mount on my lap. Super easy to take on/off as needed.

Big picture, determine what you need and work up a solution. It's all about being adaptive.
    Cheers,

Gc.
    "Life is full of froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone.
    Kindness for another's trouble, courage for your own."

One cause of this is allowing your legs to roll outward when laying on your back in bed. This external rotation can cause a contracture. When you sit up, this results in the entire leg rotating out at the hip, causing this wide-leg posture. Supporting the side of the thigh with a trochanter roll (foam or pillows) will help with this if it is not too tight already. Doing more ROM for internal hip rotation will also help.

If you are on a generic foam cushion, it is probably not the best cushion for prevention of pressure ulcers. You could benefit from a seating evaluation (including computerized interface pressure evaluation), both for selection of the proper cushion, and also for customization of proper wedging to help keep your legs properly positioned when sitting.

(KLD)

I realize this is a very old thread, but just in case other people are encountering this problem...

#1) better cushion! A generic foam cushion isn't good enough skin protection, at the very list. Improper seating can cause so many problems with your body.

#2) adjust height of footrest - the original poster may have had theirs too high, causing the legs to sit "up" higher and open.

Blog Entries
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury