Thread: Organic milk: Are the benefits worth the cost?

Organic milk: Are the benefits worth the cost?

Price can be twice as much, but research doesn't show added advantage

Demand for organic milk, which can sell for up to double the cost of other milk, is booming. Deciding whether to spend the extra money is not as clear-cut a decision as some suggest.

People may turn to organic milk for health benefits, or environmental and animal rights’ issues. But when evaluating the health claims, so far, research does not support a health advantage of organic over conventional milk for any segment of the population.

Link:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14458802/

I don't drink milk because I hate the taste. However, my daughter loves milk and I buy organic for her. "Regular" milk comes from cows who are pumped full of anti-biotics and hormones to increase their production. It is a proven fact that these things pass into the cow's milk. Children, most notably girls, are physically maturing at a faster rate - and I would bet the bank that it is due to the massive amounts of hormones they receive from milk and meats that are pumped full of growth hormones! By the way, Costco sells organic milk and it is much cheaper than buying it anywhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by roshni
    Price can be twice as much, but research doesn't show added advantage
    I don't drink milk but have it on fairly good *authority that most organic milks are far tastier than conventionally produced milks. Those of us that remember the milk from the fifties that came with the milk fat (cream) stuck to the top plug, remember and miss the wonderful, full-bodied taste of it. Organic milk has got that taste. It's the same deal with most organic eggs.

*A twenty y/o laborer I knew, his wife and three girls; all of which had no appreciation of the health/spiritual aspects of eating orgainc but valued the milk for its taste enough to pay the premium.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Every now and then I get the taste for milk but due to my allergies I have to limit myself...When I worked on a dairy farm, I drank raw milk. For some reason it didn't bother me too much...As for my tea drinking, I use powered milk...

milk from the barn is the best....i daried for so many years that the taste of store bought is like the difference between cool-aid and juice...my kids hate store milk they were raised on barn milk ( and still developed early, its more than just milk doing it )

Dildo,
    Do you feed your girls meat that isn't organic? In particular, the beef and chicken is full of growth hormones. I think a lot of people don't realize how tainted "regular" meat is! I don't go overboard... I know when we eat out we are getting "regular" meat, and that's OK... a little bit won't kill us But at home, I get organic. And to think all of this contamination is for the sake of the almighty dollar. The faster the animals grow, the more money they make. Therefore, I understand that organic animals grow slower and I am willing to pay more even though we can hardly afford it.

the first 10 years of the girls lives up til my injury.........beef came from the ranch and chicken came from the back yard, elk came from the moutain...fruit came out of the grove behind the house and veggies came from the 1/2 acre garden and water came from a 75 y.o. rock lined well...at the time of my injury my wife and i were feeding a mixed family of 5-7 kids and two adults on about $40 a month at the supermarket (mostly toilitries and kitchen supplies)...you can't get much more natural than that....and i "don't" disagree that our food, water, and enviorment are causing probs....i just think the way our kids grow and develop has more to do with evolution and lifestyle than our milk and greenbeans..,..