Thread: Female cathing

Female cathing

Hello there,

I am t6 complete. This question is with respect to self-cath in females. I am very comfortable doing ICC when I am on bed. But I go for work. SO I need to be able to do ICC sitting on a wheel chair too. To make this happen, I altered my clothing and devised a method.

This is how I do:

1. Keep a chair(preferably plastic one with arm rests) in front of my wheel chair. I position my wheelchair nearby a wash-basin in the rest room.
    Note: I cannot keep my legs on either end of the toilet seat as they have the risk of falling off.
    2. Then I do a push up and come forward. This would help me in two ways
    a. My legs will be farther apart enabling me to cath easily.
    b. My wheelchair-cusion has an air pillow and this is where my butt rests. This is a cheap method to avoid pressure sores. So when I come forward, I come mostly out of this air pillow part to the foam cushion section

3. I do all the cleansing activities, inserting catheter, draining the urine.

The problem out here is my legs are too spastic for me to keep it on a plastic chair myself. If somehow, I keep them when I do a push up to come forward, the chair moves... One option would be to keep the chair leaning on to a wall here.. but we will talk about it later..

My concern here is - I need to avoid this assistance needed here to keep my legs on a high surface without falling off.. I will be travelling soon out of my country and in the new place I will be left alone.
    Pls give me some other practical and easy way to do Self ICC . Pl Help!!!!!!

I'm afraid I don't have any quick solutions. You might want to talk with your doctor about increasing your antispasticity meds so that your spasticity is looser. You might want to see a rehab doctor about maybe a botox injection in one or another of the muscle groups in your legs to see if that won't block the spasticity that is interfering with self care.

More drastic solutions include a surgery called a Mitrofanoff procedure where a small stoma is placed between your bladder and your abdomen so that you can aim higher on your body and not have so much hassle doffing your clothes for cathing.

Those are the only suggestions that I can come up with. Maybe some other folks on the forum will have other ideas.

RAB

THanks, SCI Nurse.

Other folks, I need your ideas and suggestions!!! Help

Can you put your legs up on the calf strap of the chair? This is the way I do it, and it works just fine, lifting the legs up high enough to be able to cath easy. If you try it this way, shoes with a small heel or step are good, as sometimes my legs slip forwards but the heel catches them and keeps them in place.