Thread: Kidney Stones

Kidney Stones

What do Kidney stones look like and can you pass them through a bag that goes directly to your Kidney ????? I'm getting pain my DR. said it's in the Flank area , are they dark in color , he said I could have them and have passed them without knowing it where I already have the pain in my Kidney area , this has me so confused one DR. says onething and another says something else who do I believe???

You really need to get a CAT scan, that will tell you if there are any stones in their. I had the surgery to take one the size of a golf ball. The most three other surgeries were done by laser. If they are small enough sometimes they might pass the catheter. You would have to use a screen when empty the bag. Every six months I get a CAT scan . Tilt table supposedly also helps. Supposedly pushing lemmon aid is supposed to prevent them
    keiffer66

Kidney stones! They will make a grown man (or woman) cry like a baby and when you actually see them you are like how can something that small cause so much pain. Most of the time they look like a piece of sand, most people picture a pebble or small stone but usually they are not that large and if they are that large they usually wont come out on their own.

So yes if you werent looking for them, you can definately miss them. Usually you need to strain your urine when you are looking for them. They can pass through a catheter although again it depends on how large they are.

I had a cat scan with and without dye it showed nothing , and I no longer cath it comes right from my kidney into a bag

A CT scan shoud show if you have a stone. A CT without contrast that is however they probably did one with contrast to check for other things. Typically if you have a kidney stone in your kidney it doesnt hurt. When it moves into the ureter is usually when the symptoms begin however some stones are so large they cant move into the ureter in which case they would cause pain. still if the kidney stone was this large it looks like it would show up.

Kidney stones generally do not cause chronic pain unless you have multiple ones or you cant pass them. Usually you are fine, a few hours later you are in severe pain and in 2-3 days you pass the stone and feel better.

Usually once you pass the stone it doesnt take very long for you to feel better. Why do you think you have a stone if the CT scan shows you dont? Has a doctor told you that you did?

My Mom had kidney stones last year and said that giving birth to us 3 kids was a breeze compared to that tiny stone!
    She had a CT SCAN done to see if she had stones, so I guess that's the standard test they do for that. I've never had them, so I wouldn't know (the uro says I'm lucky, considering all the kidney infections I had last year and earlier this year).

Jessie

They can do an ultrasound of the kidneys and the bladder to see if there are any stones present. My son has an ongoing saga with kidney stones. We just got done with a hospital stay the other day to get rid of them.....again! He passes some big boulders!!Luckily he can not feel them, like Jesse said people say they are horrible.